Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pedro the Lion / David Bazan Band • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by EmmanuelSCastle, Jan 2, 2017.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

let me know if you end up going to Hop Along then, I've already got tickets for that one. my love for Mineral Girls is truly boundless haha, definitely the same sentiment.

I was sad to miss out on his show at the Earl a couple of months ago but seeing him for the first time as Pedro the Lion also felt right somehow. I can imagine that lonely solo touring is probably why he's in so many bands. re: Marie/Lepanto, I never think of him as a drummer or anything but he's really good at it; it's simple and understated stuff but totally tasteful and rock solid. kind of wish he did drums for their whole set bc drums definitely elevated their songs for me whereas the beginning was feeling a little adult contemporary at times.

2. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Four new songs coming out next month, one is streaming now.

3. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

whats this.

4. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Maybe some b-sides? Song sounds like it could be from Strange Negations. Damn good.

5. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Oh wait, who is Sean Lane?

6. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

Sean is the current drummer that’s been touring with David/Pedro

7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

yeh it's a split with b sides. cool that it's coming on cursives label too, first thing they've put out that isn't their own stuff/rerelease

8. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I’m a bad cursive fan who didn’t even know they had a label

9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

they just started it! it's recent as hell and all they've done is put all of Cursives stuff on Bandcamp, and reissue the first two cursive albums. oh and Tim's latest album came out on that too

10. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

The Rare Coins split is out today. Just getting ready to listen.

coleslawed likes this.
  11. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

DB's tracks are great. Sounds like his version of classic rock. Really like "My Body."

12. travisred

Trusted Supporter

My Body is great. I didn't really care for Video Tape so much.

13. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Been listening to Curse Your Branches a lot over the last couple days. Got me wondering if he had a thread on here, and low and behold, here we are!

So excited for new Pedro.

14. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I love curse your branches. But every once & awhile i cant ignore how s l o w his vocal delivery is & i have to shut it off

15. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

they don't call it slow-core for nothing.
    imo that album is the worst of it, though

16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

travisred and Matt Metzler like this.
  17. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Five albums in the next five years, and the first one in early 2019, called "Phoenix." I hope it actually happens! I don't see why not, he got plenty good at pumping out the songs when he did the Bazan Monthly stuff.

coleslawed and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

it's crazy to me he's got that shit planned out so meticulously too, sounds super grand to me

coleslawed likes this.
  19. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I remember when I saw him a few years back and he said the plan was to release a new album every year. I guess this year didn't end up happening but because he had to relaunch Pedro, but he's been pretty true to his word thus far.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

even before Pedro that was the plan? I mean, dude is extremely capable songwriter, it's definitely a craft thing, so I'm not worried but that's quite the goal. I guess it means he'll always have material to tour, never get tired of playing it, etc

21. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I saw him at a solo show in like 2015 and he was talking about releasing one every year around his birthday. Pretty crazy. I think he wants to do it so much because he just loves writing and it probably makes it easier to raise a family releasing more than you tour.

Kennedy and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

yeah I mean I guess it also helps that it's his full time job and not something he does while working a 9 to 5. yeah, his stuff is never half assed, very clear of vision in a workmanlike way that is underrated. it makes me wonder since he already had these planned if these records were already in progress and he tweaked things to be a band record vs a Bazan record

Kennedy likes this.
  23. travisred

Trusted Supporter

That's probably what it is especially if he already has them thematically planned like that interview said. Even that though, 5 years is nuts.

24. bedwettingcosmo

uh so this is a dream

coleslawed, Kennedy, Gjpeace and 3 others like this.
  25. bedwettingcosmo