Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pedro the Lion / David Bazan Band • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by EmmanuelSCastle, Jan 2, 2017.

1. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Amazing news

2. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I want to post a small bit of doting.

I've mentioned this briefly in a few places here and there, but for those who don't know, I was in a cult as a child (from around the age of 11 to around 17). Something akin to the Westboro Baptist. I'm about to turn 22 now. But for a few years after the cult I tried desperately to hold onto faith. That however, was destroying my mental health. So, a year and a half ago I began my journey towards leaving religion. At first it was really hard. I went through many of the things I've heard David speak about in interviews or podcasts, such as waking up in cold sweats after nightmares where I went to hell. But one of the biggest helps for me from an emotional standpoint was Curse Your Branches. I relate to every song on an almost (irony intended) spiritual level. David helped ease me out of religion in a much healthier way than I was managing on my own. Now, I am very openly atheist, and despite the lack of support from my family, am getting ready to go to college as a major in ecology/evolutionary biology with a minor in physics. I am really ecstatic. I've had a late start in life due to religion. But now I've found a field I love, and am the happiest/healthiest I've ever been. And Curse Your Branches was a very large part in my figuring all this shit out. Curse Your Branches may be the most important record that has ever come into my life.

Thank you for reading my rant. I adore Bazan.

Joel, dylan, coleslawed and 7 others like this.
  3. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Anyone been to one of the shows yet?

4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

ten days for me, i think

5. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Doesn’t come through these parts until August. It’s fun to glance at my ticket on the fridge from time to time though.

6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

i would love to have a physical ticket someday

7. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I’m seeing him tonight, seems like he’s playing a pretty long set.

EmmanuelSCastle and Kennedy like this.
  8. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Is he playing exclusively Pedro songs or solo songs too? Jw

9. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Seems like 3 or so songs from his solo stuff.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  10. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

I was supposed to see him back in December during his run in Seattle, but my ear drum ruptured the day before the concert and even listening to podcasts in my car with the bass at -infinity still hurt. I hope I can catch him when he comes back up through Portland this year.

11. travisred

Trusted Supporter

The show was insanely good. For it being a three piece, it sounded pretty huge. Great set that hit every era of Pedro. The highlights for me were Second Best (which was massive) and Trouble With Boys. I was surprised Trouble With Boys was even played but it was beautiful and moving. The show definitely met expectations. Pretty packed house too which was cool.

Oh, Dave also said new Pedro album will come out January 2019. He said the due date for the record is in August.

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Oh shiiiiit thank you for that update! So glad second best is being played too

13. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

January 2019 is far

14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

But is it really when no one thought we'd get another Pedro album? Plus it's been 14 years since Achilles Heel, what's one more yaknow

Kennedy and coleslawed like this.
  15. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I never saw that polyvinyl had posted this. Pretty cool.

16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

YOOOO go see this tour. as previously stated, the songs are fuckin massive, very muscular. vocals on point, too. also Dave is hilarious. he threw some pretty massive shade at Jade tree too

17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

also I took a pic of the setlist if anyone is interested

18. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

I was there too. Incredible set. Definitely one of the best times I’ve seen Bazan. The last four songs or so, my God.

19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

we end up at the same shows a lot! also yeah, it seems like playing in an actual band as opposed to just himself has revitalized him or something, he seemed to be having a great time. how good were all the "It's Hard To Find a Friend" songs? i didn't expect him/them to beef it up so much.

20. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Kennedy and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  21. RedDotRecording

Record Engineer/Producer. Musician. Coffee Punk.

What did he say about Jade Tree?

22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

in reference to when they'd have their back catalog on vinyl to sell at shows, he talked about how Jade Tree sold their catalog to Epitaph and before going on he laughs at that and is just like "yeah. I know." and goes on into the logistics of why all that happened and goes "anyway we'll have vinyl to sell later in the year, no thanks to Jade Tree." he was p caustic about it all. apparently the main guy running stuff or whatever is a professor and was keeping Jade Tree around for the purposes of some academic stuff that it fulfilled and once he got tenure there was no need to keep it going

RedDotRecording likes this.
  23. RedDotRecording

Record Engineer/Producer. Musician. Coffee Punk.

Interesting. I was always a fan of Jade Tree and their efforts to put out cool stuff. It's a bit of a bummer to hear it's been passed off to Epitaph - another label I'm a fan of - rather than passed on to someone else who could give it the same love it was given for all those years a while back.

coleslawed and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I guess the Jade tree people just grew out of it. diy doesn't pay the bills and all that

25. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Ha, yeah, we do. The only Atlanta show I’ve got planned for the next few months is probably Hop Along (that and Shaky Knees). I’ll gladly meet up some time; any fan of Mineral Girls is a friend of mine.

But yeah, you’re right re: Bazan. I’ve seen him several times, and I’ve never seen him so obviously happy to be playing as he was the other night, even just playing drums for Marie/Lepanto. It makes me very excited for the new album. I can’t imagine the loneliness of touring solo for so long like he did.