Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pedro the Lion / David Bazan Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by EmmanuelSCastle, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Why is Bazan not as widely loved as Kevin Devine, Manchester Orchestra or even Brand New around here? I know this could be hyperbole, but I think Bazan is genuinely one of the 10 greatest songwriters of all time.

2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Doesn't make sense to me either tbh he super influential to them all. If I haaaad to guess I'd say his dourness isn't typically balanced with obvious hooks, barring Control? Maybe that's why. But idk seems weird to me too

awakeohsleeper and Benjamin Lee like this.
  3. travisred

Trusted Supporter

One day I’ll write a blog on Dave called “Your Favorite Artists’ Favorite Artist”. He is so widely respected and influenctial yet still goes under the radar.

4. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I'm really hoping he'll get a boost when the Andy Hull and Julien Baker cover comes out.

5. travisred

Trusted Supporter

And maybe him playing with Julien will give him another uptick.

6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I keep forgetting about this wow I'm excited for it. Feel like bazan gets covered a lot tho?
    this seems likely as well in the short term. A bunch of people will check him out, esp if he plays any Pedro songs

7. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

lmfao at hyperbole that shit aint hyperbole that shit is fuckin fact. top 5 tbh

8. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Am I wrong to think that his recent solo stuff might be more accessible than his Pedro stuff? At least for people who would just be discovering him in today's "scene."

9. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I think you’re right. Care has a lot of really catchy hooks.

10. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I'm thinking PTL tour.

11. Benjamin Lee Sep 5, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 5, 2017)
    Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I got a Bazan tattoo today :)

coleslawed likes this.
  12. travisred Sep 5, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 6, 2017)
    travisred

Trusted Supporter

13. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

yeah same let's see that tat Ben

14. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

15. nchlsnwtn

Regular Prestigious

Always loved the first two solo records, control, and headphones. Kinda stopped there for whatever reason. Might get back into it now that schools back in session and that's when I do most of my music listening

16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Whoa so sick. Did you design it? Is it also a curse your branches ref? Would it be weird if I followed you on Twitter? Haha

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  17. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Nah, I let the tattoo artist design. I gave him the general idea of it though. And yes, it is also a Curse Your Branches reference. And no, it wouldn't be weird. I do tweet sad shit sometimes though just as a warning :crylaugh:

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

If you don't get sad on Twitter sometimes, wyd? Also did he show you a few different ideas before you settled on that one? I've got no tattoos but been thinking for years what I want my first one to be

19. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

This was his first drawing, except he had no apple in the tree so I asked him to put one up there. I've found that over-thinking tattoo's lead to never getting them. Like, all of mine have essentially been impulse. But not a bad kind of impulse. Idk. It's weird because I know it hurts, so I put it off like surgery until I impulse my way through. Hahaha

20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'm def getting them but I'm waiting til I'm completely independent from my parents cause they are not fans haha. I have an idea for a Joyce Manor tat I designed a couple of years ago, a Kevin Devine's one and Brand New one. Also a twiabp one that I plan for my friend to do as my first stick n poke lol

21. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

What's your Kevin's Devine idea? I've thought about adding him to my last of band tattoos but I'm unsure where I'd go with it. Stick n Poke scares me shitless. Haha Brodie (Audrey's partner, if you didn't get to meet them) offers to Stick n Poke me all the time and I never feel less scared of the idea :crylaugh:

22. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Nice man! I need to come up with an idea for a PTL/Bazan tattoo.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  23. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

My idea kind of came on a whim Sunday night. Then I brought it to one of the two artists I've gone to for all my stuff and he made it even better. I got this one because Curse Your Branches is probably the most I've ever connected with the lyrics to an album. I was in religion even deeper than David was, and getting out of it has been tough. But that album has really helped me. If you can like, compile a list of your favorite things he's done that might help you narrow down on an idea. Or just be like me and think of it one night, then go in the next morning (they were closed for labor day though so I ended getting it two days later. hahaha)

24. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

last year I noticed that Nate from All Get Out has the Winners Never Quit artwork on his arm, definitely a rad one.

[​IMG]

travisred likes this.
  25. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Yeah Nathan's tattoo is awesome! I keep thinking of stealing his idea. Maybe do one of the designs from the inner sleeve of the vinyl.

coleslawed likes this.