Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pedro the Lion / David Bazan Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by EmmanuelSCastle, Jan 2, 2017.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

"Pedro the Lion was an indie rock band from Seattle, Washington. David Bazan formed the band in 1995 and represented its main creative force, backed by a varying rotation of collaborating musicians. In 2006 Pedro the Lion was dissolved as Bazan went solo. Releasing four full-length albums and five EPs over 11 years, the band was known for its first person narrative lyrics with political and religious themes. Under his own name, he's released four studio albums, including his solo debut Curse Your Branches and his most recent, Blanco." (Taken from Pedro the Lion wiki, with some of my own additions).

Bazan rules, love Pedro the Lion. Discuss.

5Stories likes this.
  2. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

the god

coleslawed likes this.
  3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

He's actually got a really incredible understanding of songwriting, everything is tightly written but so accessible. I know people don't really always connect with some of his longer songs, but his narrative and lyrical ability is so compelling that really, how can you not?

4. bedwettingcosmo

this song wrecks me every time

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Excellent example, super emotional narrative.
    My Pedro the Lion familiarity starts with it's hard to find a friend, what are those EPs before like?

6. 5Stories

Regular

The way 'Magazine' builds is incredible. The way it goes through different stages, builds and teases and the way the drums work to build tension. It's got such a haunting hook.

So I only listened to Control for the first time yesterday and it's extraordinary. Gone back to listen to the earlier stuff and Achilles' Heel and it's not grabbed me in anywhere near the same way. Still got Winners Never Quit to check out though.

7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Winners is my favorite after Control. Worth noting with Bazan that a lot of his pre Winners stuff are growers, things that reveal themselves after you've become familiar. I'd spend time with the ones you like and then periodically check back in with what didn't immediately grab you.

5Stories likes this.
  8. Collins

Trusted

love him but need to dig deeper. my top 5 is all pedro stuff. magazines, progress, priests and paramedics, rejoice, criticism as inspiration.

i also really enjoy lullaby. when i found out he lost his faith it made for a more interesting listen too

9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Yeah you can map his faith through his songs, a p cool thing imo. I have the same problem, need to really dive into the solo stuff, it's never been convenient til I got Spotify last month.

10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I haven't spent a ton of time with Achilles heel either

11. cherrywaves

Trusted

Listened to the Passenger String Quartet album and wow that rendition of "Cold Beer and Cigarettes" is stunning.

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

That's originally on that first solo EP right? I remember liking that (if it's what I'm thinking of) so I gotta check that album out

13. EarthShifts

Trusted

Excited to see a Bazan thread. He's one of my all-time favorites.

When I was 18 Pedro was opening for Death Cab in the Transatlantacism tour at a small venue near my college. I love that record so much so I wanted to go but my new college friends were iffy and they told me Pedro sucked, so I just didn't go. Truthfully though, I had never even listened to Pedro and I let that influence my opinion on them for most of college.

Once I graduated though I somehow got a live recording of a solo show Bazan did and I was floored. I couldn't believe I had waited so long, and then I just immersed myself in his catalog. It's so deep and it feels so real. I still find new things every time I listen. He is a special voice.

14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

That sounds like a dream bill honestly, you fucked up a bit. Worked out in the end though! You know what that release that got you into him was?

EarthShifts likes this.
  15. EarthShifts

Trusted

Haha! I did. It is my all-time missed show regret. That's what I get for letting my friends influence what I like.

It was on my old IPod, but if I remember correctly I think it was "Live at the Grey Eagle", which I believe is a venue in North Carolina.

16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Always gotta give the bands at least a cursory listen before you decide!
    damn, i looked around for that but it's old enough that all the links for that bootleg are not working. bummer, cause the setlist looks cool.

17. bedwettingcosmo

curse your branches is essential bazan. if you haven't heard it stop what you're doing and go listen to it.

18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

today, i promise

19. EarthShifts

Trusted

True. At that time in my life though, i just wanted to seem cool to those around me. I am wiser now.

I checked around too. There are few clips on youtube from the show, but I'll see if I can track it down. I might still have it on my old external hard drive.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I thank young me every day for getting into punk early and internalizing the whole individuality thing. Let me know if you come across it! I'll check out those clips in the mean time

EarthShifts likes this.
  21. travisred

Trusted Supporter

22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Eager to check that out

23. 5Stories

Regular

Just wondering if

I could never divorce you
    Without a good reason
    And though I may never have to
    It's good to have options

is the best/most cutting lyric ever

24. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Yes

coleslawed likes this.
  25. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Completely, 100%. He also has another contender, but part of it is the casual delivery in Bad Diary Days:
    the breakfast cereal talked
    more than we did all day long
    i asked her for a walk
    but she had to be on her way
    so i told her that i knew
    she'd been stepping out

she swore that she could explain
    she swore that it would not happen again
    she swore that she could explain
    we both knew her words were in vain