Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Patriots Day (Peter Berg, December 21st 2016) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Oct 5, 2016.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

And here's why you watch the movie, and not just the trailer. That line is the resolution of the FBI character laying out, with some nuance, what happens when you call it terrorism nationally and logistically.

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  2. drewinseries

Drew

Lifelong Bostonian. I loved the film. I'm glad it focused more on police and avoided victim exploitation. I don't think that heartfelt, powerful, American stories being presented to larger audiences is necessarily exploitation and propaganda. In this case, I found it very powerful.

It is also important to note that Martin Richard was originally going to be in the film, but when the script was being drafted they would periodically check with the families involved. The Richard family did not want anyone portraying them so they immediately took it out. The movie certainly approaches the community with care.

Also, the "fuck yeah" Boston lines were generally true. Apparently a Watertown resident threw a bat/axe towards police during the shootout, as well as a Framingham PD officer refusing to leave the standoff scene with military.

3. cshadows2887 Jan 16, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 16, 2017)
    cshadows2887

Yeah I thought they took as much care to represent the city's experiences as possible and, honestly, while it was hard to watch at times, it was also incredibly cathartic.

And as I watched some of the more "Boston" lines, I knew people not from here would harumph about them, but they're also just really accurate. I don't doubt for one second that someone would do that shit with the baseball bat or that a BPD officer would say "I'm from from Framingham Massachusetts and this is my fucking spot".

Edit: Slightly reminded of when people were shitting on Blake Lively's accent in The Town back on ap until I linked them to videos of women speaking exactly like her. Some things about this city are hard to believe if you aren't from here. Haha

4. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I figured it had a deeper meaning than him just kneeling to assess random evidence and come to that conclusion, was just poorly edited and represented in the trailer to the point it was humorous.

5. cshadows2887

Yeah it was just sloppy trailer editing to try and reach the lowest-common-denominator audience. Similarly, I never make any judgment off Disney trailers, because they always advertise them dumber than they are.

jkauf likes this.
  6. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Just saw this and thought it was very well done. I followed the story very closely when it happened and my brother finished the race about an hour before the bombs went off so this hit pretty close to home. I still remember how crazy that day was when we first heard there was a bombing.

From what I know of all the events, the film seemed to very accurately portray everything. The ending really got me emotional.

7. drewinseries

Drew

I found this be really accurate to the timeline and events. Adding the tea CCTV footage was incredibly useful I thought.

8. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Saw this about a week ago. Liked it for the most part, certainly enjoyed it more than Deepwater Horizon. As another poster mentioned, Berg has a signature style with his movies now and I too am a fan of it. One review I listened to described him as a 'much more restrained Michael Bay' and I don't think that's an unfair assessment (although I think he looses his restraint in that shootout when they just throwing pipe bombs and blowing up cars left and right with no collateral damage.)

My biggest issue with the movie, and it may or may not be fair considering they likely locked Picture before the election results were in, but it's that the only meaningful representation of Muslims in the film are of the terrorists. Kevin Bacon has a couple quick lines about anti-Muslim backlash, and there is one quick shot of a Muslim family walking down the street, but other than that the only depiction of Islam in the film is courtesy of the terrorists themselves. Given the hostile climate we're already in, I really would've appreciated a quick storyline just following a Muslim family dealing with the fallout of the bombings on their own terms, maybe even dealing with some of that 'backlash', to better show the harm the attack caused to everyone.

Granted, this movie doesn't seem to be catching quite the box office fire they had hoped for, so I'm not sure how many racists are gonna get to project their fantasies onto it, but I don't think this movie does anything to seriously challenge those prejudices either, and that needs to start taking more weight.

I mean hell, even Lone Survivor made more of a concerted effort at balancing things out than this movie.

9. GEM37

She haunts the roads

On a separate note: you think Marky Mark left David O. Russell for Peter Berg?

Davjs and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  10. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Deepwater Horizon was not good.

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

hopefully David is a shitty person, but then again so is Mark

12. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Russell may indeed be a shitty person, though I am in general more excited for his movies...

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  13. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This was way way better than it had any right to be

14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

netflix 7/1

15. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I forgot this movie existed and I saw it twice.