Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Patrick Droney - State of the Heart (May 21, 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by morken, May 22, 2021.

1. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

Feel like this album should have its own thread on here. Fantastic songwriter and a great guitar player.

2. morken

3. Gianni

Trusted

I dig it .... just very initial thoughts not even finished two songs yet, but I get a bit of a polished John Mayer vibe...

morken likes this.
  4. morken

Yeah I've always viewed him as a student of John Mayer kind of, but with a more polished pop-rock vibe. Early favorites are Nowhere Town and Guess That's why I'm calling.

Gianni28 likes this.
  5. Gianni

Trusted

Cheers - yeah I’m Enjoying this.

6. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I wish I hadn't heard so many of these songs already but still really like this regardless

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Digging the hell out of this record.

Dave Diddy likes this.
  8. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

Craig Manning likes this.
  9. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

First song and I’m already like yes yes yes. Guys I need to be tagged in soaring guitar music threads.

morken and Craig Manning like this.
  10. Craig Manning

I've gotta thank @derekjd for that one, he put this guy on my radar yesterday.

Yeah, that first track is special. When it hits the chorus I was just like "Oh shit! Yep, this is for me."

11. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Halfway through and not many other songs hit those highs, but I am enjoying this. Really liked “The Wire” and “Guess That’s Why I’m Calling”. It reminds me more of like early 2000s The Fray/Snow Patrol than I thought at first.

12. morken

The back half of the record is very good in my opinion, lots of cool moments and strong melodies.

13. morken

You guys should also check this one out:

14. Craig Manning

I definitely think the opener is the best song on the album, but there are a lot of other highlights for me too. "Nowhere Town." "Guess That's Why I'm Calling," "Glitter," the closing track that bears so many Donovan Woods hallmarks that I had to check and see if he co-wrote it (he didn't).

I definitely get some 2000s radio rock in this. My comparison was more, like, Safetysuit than Snow Patrol or The Fray, but they're a little less iconic of that era. But I also get a lot of John Mayer, The Night Game, Needtobreathe, and some country touches.

15. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

His self titled EP from 2019 is good too. This is the first song I heard from him (and still probably my favorite)

16. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Just listened to this after Craig's rec in the John Mayer thread. Pretty damn good on first listens. Need more time with it.

17. JulieLynn

Karma is the Guy On The Chiefs Prestigious

I'm only on the 2nd song and I'm already loving it!

thanks for the rec @Craig Manning !!

18. Craig Manning

Hell yeah, let's get more people in here! I think @SpyKi would probably be into this as well.

19. JulieLynn

Ok so "The Wire" is playing and I've had this song on my playlist for like months! How tf did I not take this album for a spin sooner?!?!?!?!!?!

20. JulieLynn

"Guess that's why I'm calling" just destroyyeeeddd meeeee :verysad::verysad::verysad:

21. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

I was going to say that a lot of this kind of sounds like if Martin Johnson made a Nashville record where he sang everything straight instead of with the smirk you can hear on almost every The Night Game song. I don't really match much of this with John Mayer, but I think that's mostly because their voices and approaches to melody feel fairly different to me.

22. Craig Manning

I hear some John in the guitar licks and the occasional melody, but maybe that's just because I've been listening to "Last Train Home" a lot and my first impression of this was that it hit similar territory.

There are definitely a lot of points where his voice sounds like Martin's, especially when he's singing lower/quieter. The Night Game is significantly poppier than this, but they're cut from a similar cloth. I also hear a bit of the first 1975 record here.

bobsheiskawy likes this.
  23. JulieLynn

I've had "Last Train Home" on repeat since the day it was released. I have a feeling this album is going to be number 1 on my Spotify end of year stats.

The Maine might give John a run for his money tho in my music world.

24. Craig Manning

Very excited for both of those albums.

25. JulieLynn

The piano version of "sticky" is so Beautiful. I can't get through it without crying a little.