Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Paterson (Jim Jarmusch, 2016) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by brandon_260, Apr 17, 2016.

1. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

Paterson (played by Driver) is a bus driver in the city of Paterson, New Jersey — they share the name. Every day, Paterson adheres to a simple routine: he drives his daily route, observing the city as it drifts across his windshield and overhearing fragments of conversation swirling around him; he writes poetry into a notebook; he walks his dog; he stops in a bar and drinks exactly one beer. He goes home to his wife, Laura (played by Farahani). By contrast, Laura’s world is ever changing. New dreams come to her almost daily, each a different and inspired project. Paterson loves Laura and she loves him. He supports her newfound ambitions; she champions his secret gift for poetry. The history and energy of the City of Paterson is a felt presence in the film and its simple structure unfolds over the course of a single week. The quiet triumphs and defeats of daily life are observed, along with the poetry evident in its smallest details.

It's been picked up by Amazon. Not sure how they'll release it, probably similar way to Chi-raq.

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Cool

3. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

very excited

4. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Pretty on board for anything Driver at the moment, so yeah.

5. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

7. Morrissey

Trusted

That kind of decision always surprises. It is hard to imagine a Jim Jarmusch film getting a lot of Academy Award nominations, so it seems like it would hurt the movie by being crowded out by whatever the "big names" will be this year. Richard Linklater films have been coming out in the summer and early fall and managed to find an audience because people want an alternative to the regular summer films. Swiss Army man had a decent word-of-mouth this summer but would have probably not gotten a chance in the winter.

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Will get a ton of buzz then lose to the McDonalds film or Tom Hanks landing a plane

9. Morrissey

Trusted

They made a McDonald's biopic?

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

11. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This is incredible. Like Jim Jarmusch's Inside Llewyn Davis. Possibly my favorite of the year.

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

13. Looks good.

14. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

This interests me a lot. Paterson seems to be sort of under-recognized even in it's own state. Whereas Trenton and Newark get recognized as thriving arts communities, even if the cities themselves are sort of rough-and-tumble, Paterson never seems to get any sort of attention, good or bad. It's just kind of a forgotten town

15. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

16. Saw this at AFI yesterday. Really enjoyed it. A meditative exercise in the mundanities of life that manages to bloom with humor and intrigue. Driver gives a quiet performance, so I'm not sure if it'll garner Oscar-type attention, but it was nonetheless an excellent performance.

17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I think about this movie so often. I can't wait to see it again.

18. Serh Jan 5, 2017
    (Last edited: May 18, 2019)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Loved this

19. 5Stories

Regular

Really good film, love Adam Driver and how he portrayed a guy just content with his lot in life. It was refreshing. But what was up with the weird Japanese fella? At the very end the writing suddenly went from super naturalistic to incredibly contrived. That's my only gripe though.

20. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I can't fucking stand that I haven't been able to see this yet.

21. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

It wasn't until I stepped out of the theater onto the street after seeing the movie that I remembered I was 500 miles away from home. This really wrapped me up in it.

Aregala likes this.
  22. Nathan

At the bar afterwards:

"We just got out of a movie."
    "What movie?"
    "Paterson."
    "Was it about Paterson, New Jersey?"
    "Yeah, actually."
    "Oh, cool. Bet it didn't mention Fetty Wap though."
    "Actually..."

23. Marvin one of the great cinematic antagonists

SpyKi and Aregala like this.
  24. Nathan

Have no idea how I missed that Suzy and Sam from Moonrise Kingdom played the anarchist teens on the bus

25. Morrissey

Trusted

This is playing ninety minutes away. Worth it or not?