Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Parkway Drive Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by redwing91007, Jul 8, 2016.

1. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Parkway Drive is an Australian metalcore band from Byron Bay, New South Wales, formed in 2003.[1][2] As of 2015, Parkway Drive has released five full-length albums (Killing with a Smile, Horizons, Deep Blue, Atlas andIre), one EP, two DVDs, a split album and one book, Ten Years of Parkway Drive. The band's latest four albums have reached the top 10 of the Australian ARIA Charts, with Ire reaching number 1 in October 2015.

The band's line-up has remained consistent for most of their career, with the only exceptions being the departure of Brett Versteeg in 2004, followed by Shaun Cash in 2006; since the addition of bassist Jia O'Connor in 2006, no members have left the group.

Noticed there was no Parkway thread when I saw the news that they are putting out a deluxe version of Ire next week.

"Parkway Drive have announced a deluxe edition of their most recent studio album, Ire, which will be released next Friday, July 15, via Epitaph. (Pre-orders are on sale now.) The effort will feature two new songs—“Devil’s Calling,” “Into the Dark”—and a remix of “A Deathless Song,” which features Tonight Alive’s Jenna McDougall. You can check out the full track listing below."

2. Schooner

Trusted

Devils Calling came out over night

3. redwing91007

Well this is exactly what I expected. They lost me a lot with Ire unfortunately, used to be one of my favorite bands.

4. solxace

oh word?

IRE is an amazing album. I can see why everyone doesn't like it though

5. redwing91007

It's grown on me after seeing it in a live setting but it's still my least favourite.

solxace likes this.
  6. solxace

oh word?

Yeah, for sure. I agree. Horizons and Deep Bluee are my favourite albums from them.

7. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Killing With a Smile, guys.

solxace likes this.
  8. redwing91007

Are we really going to turn this into another ranking thread?

Ok, fine....

Horizons
    Deep Blue
    Killing With A Smile
    Atlas

Ire

9. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

I wouldn't consider it bad per se, but its my least favorite release from them. Far too polished, and lacks punch/heaviness that I expect from them. Its a big a shift away from their metalcore roots (which is what they do best). I much prefer the direction they went with Atlas over Ire. They seemed much more ambitious on that project by including orchestral elements to some of the tracks (Atlas, Blue and the Grey, The River).

If I had to rank them:

Deep Blue
    Horizons
    Killing With a Smile
    Atlas
    Ire

solxace and redwing91007 like this.
  10. solxace

oh word?

I agree with this

mattav152 likes this.
  11. Schooner

Trusted

Deep blue
    Killing with a smile
    Horizons (a bees dick splitting those 3 albums)
    IRE
    atlas

I don't give any of those albums below 7/10 either

mattav152 likes this.
  12. Barcara

Regular

I fondly remember them as being one of my favourite bands during the Horizons-Deep Blue era, and with that being said this ranking might turn some heads.

Horizons -The album that made me love this band.
    Atlas - Honestly think this is their strongest album, but nostalgia gives Horizons the edge.
    Deep Blue - The album that got all my friends into Parkway, good times.
    Killing with a Smile - Like this album a lot, but I always found this simply the foundation for what they built going forward.
    Ire - Listened once, was not my thing.

13. mattav152

I can't listen rn since I'm at work but looks like they'll probably announce the record soon. My guess is this week or next for the full announcement.

14. I fuck with the record a bunch

15. redwing91007

Not a fan after my first listen, easily my least favorite thing they have put out. Ire took some time to grow on me so I'll give this one a few more chances before giving up on it.

16. Bane

The spiciest meme

I haven't check this out yet, but I heard the singles. I'm conflicted on Prey but think I still like the other two so we'll see.

I kind of think Atlas might be their best because it has a nice balance of going more mature while still keeping a nice heaviness, Ire leaned away from the heaviness and I think it's fine but man Atlas nailed it for me. I'm not expecting this new one to be anyway heavier but I'm sure it'll be fine.

17. mattav152

Im not loving much of what I've heard so far but I gotta say Absolute Power slaps

18. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

I don't enjoy this nearly as much as Ire, but I think if this was any other band I wouldn't like it at all. They're such good musicians and songwriters that this just works even though I'm not entirely in love with the alt-metal radio sound. They deserve to be as big as possible.

mattav152 likes this.
  19. Bane

The spiciest meme

Oh yea album ranking I guess

Atlas
    Killing with a Smile
    Horizons
    Deep Blue
    Ire

Not super definitive but I think it's approximately that? Killing and Horizons might switch around. And Deep Blue could be higher on some days, still love it.

mattav152 likes this.
  20. mattav152

I'd say I'm fairly confident in mine:

Deep Blue
    Horizons/Atlas (I like them fairly equally for different reasons)
    Killing With A Smile
    Ire
    (Have't had time for a full listen but Reverence will probably go here sadly)

21. Bane

The spiciest meme

Going through it now and not gonna lie hearing Void again, I feel like this is the best example of the arena metal they're going for now. Like it works super well for me.

22. Bane

The spiciest meme

Alright just finished. That just about met my expectations! I thought it was fine. Not crazy on Cemetery Bloom or The Colour of Leaving on first listens but everything else is solid. Can't touch their first 4 albums but I might put it above Ire? I'd have to listen more and see.

23. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Listened through again; sucks they lost their heavy sound from previous albums. The technical riffs and shredding is gone, and instead we get arena rock guitars. Sigh.....good for them to chase bigger success with this record, via this new radio/arena rock sound, but they're alienating a majority of the established fans

24. The album is still incredibly heavy - in blood shadow boxing wishing well prey absolute power all rule

25. Bane

The spiciest meme

Second listen and I'm still enjoying the album for what it is. Chronos is the one that jumped out to me this time.