Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pardon Edward Snowden

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The New York Times:

From George Washington onward, the pardon power has enabled American presidents to further the national interest. Whistle-blowers can perform a vital role in protecting human rights, and those who disclose rights violations that are shielded by an official cloak of secrecy are among the most important of all. As Mr. Snowden put it, if “people reporting wrongdoing of the most serious nature have to basically stand up and light themselves on fire, we are very quickly going to find ourselves out of volunteers the very moment when society needs them the most.”

In his biography on Twitter, Mr. Snowden says: “I used to work for the government. Now I work for the public.” That should not be something that gets you locked up for a lifetime or compels you to live in exile. The president has an opportunity to correct that injustice. It’s time to pardon Mr. Snowden and bring him home, not to face the music but to work for the security and privacy of us all.

I agree.

mercury, fenway89, RyanPm40 and 2 others like this.
  2. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Off topic, but which ingenious casting director thought JGL was ugly enough to play Edward Snowden?

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Couldn't agree more, unfortunately President Obama has gone on record as wanting Snowden to stand trial, if I recall correctly.

4. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Why post in this thread just to belittle someone's appearance? Jesus, dude

5. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

damn you Game of Thrones, anytime now i see "Snow" in the name i instantly think of Jon Snow. and i don't even watch the fucking show.

6. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

What are the chances this happens?

7. Amen.

8. SayHello

Regular

Chelsea Manning needs to be freed. Snowden needs to be pardoned. Couldn't agree more. Neither is ever going to happen with the two abysmal choices we have for President.

fenway89 and Zac Djamoos like this.
  9. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I've been asking this since Russia granted him asylum.

10. DearCory

Regular

Even if he is pardoned, I give it about 12-18 months before they find "something else" to jail him over. Pardoning him will never let him return to a normal life in the US.

Unfortunately.

Davjs likes this.
  11. Stilicho

Newbie Supporter

Pretty non-existant. The White House did release a statement on Monday to the effect that Snowden should be tried, and Secretary Clinton agreed.

It's really sad considering the former Attorney General said Snowden did a public service by blowing the whistle.

12. Wings That Work

If he had only revealed domestic spying I think he would have a lot more support, however he did reveal legitimate spy operations on foreign countries as well as things that are in a constitutional gray area.

kevincomplains likes this.