Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Parasite (Bong Joon-ho, 2019) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by TJ Wells, May 21, 2019.

1. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

right there with you

2. flask

Trusted Supporter

This easily tops Lighthouse for me.

Mrplum5089 and jkauf like this.
  3. michael_gatto

Trusted

Agreed. I really liked the lighthouse but this is by far the best film I've seen all year/in a while. Everything about this is just so damn good.

jkauf likes this.
  4. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

5. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

I saw this on Saturday and I cannot stop thinking about it. I want to write so many essays on my thoughts and feelings but I can't put together my thoughts in any coherent thread. This absolutely needs multiple viewings. So far, for me, it's the best film of the year and I'm already confident that this falls in my top 10 (5???) of all time.

6. Dog with a Blog

Welp. This was amazing

7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

this'll make me sound like the biggest blowhard ever but both times i watched i had a moment where i thought to myself something to the effect of "holy fuck i'm watching a masterpiece"

8. Dog with a Blog

I really want to see this again with someone who has not seen it yet

jkauf likes this.
  9. Serh Nov 4, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 4, 2019)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

second time i saw this i apparently was one of the few in the audience who was doing a rewatch. in fact, most of them didn't even know there was gonna be a q&a afterward

10. Dog with a Blog

Hilarious. When Kim Ki-taek stabs Mr. Park, I got flashbacks to the stupid “kill the rich” sign in Joker and was quickly reminded of how much higher a caliber this film was. Not that they should be compared but it made me laugh.

Mrplum5089, jkauf and Zilla like this.
  11. Dog with a Blog

I feel like the term “roller coaster” is so cliche but god damn, I’m not sure how else to describe it. This film is hilarious, it’s tense, it’s depressing, it’s horrifying...the whole 2nd act feels like a heist movie. But despite all this it never feels tonally inconsistent and nothing that happens feels undeserved. It’s very much a journey

incognitojones, Serh, Zilla and 3 others like this.
  12. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

That shot of the "ghost" in the flashback may well be the most unsettling thing I've seen in a long time

13. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I liked the lighthouse a lot, but I don’t think it’s in the same stratosphere as this IMO

14. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Respect!!!!!

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  15. Dog with a Blog

careful

My enjoyment for this is definitely more immediate but The Lighthouse is also something to behold and I love them for completely different reasons. They are both masterstrokes imo, just not at all alike

Slangster and coleslawed like this.
  16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I like this a lot more than the Lighthouse and that’s not a knock on the Lighthouse

17. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I just like the Lighthouse as top 5 of the year whereas Parasite is top 5 of the decade

TEGCRocco and AWasteOfATime like this.
  18. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I think The Lighthouse is probably just as good, this just has more immediate entertainment value

Slangster and Dog with a Blog like this.
  19. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

as thrillers, they're both incredible rides and such a joy to watch

as actual movies with bigger ideas and themes, parasite is in another dimension

but you can like both especially in a shitty year like this for movies

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  20. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

yeah let's not turn this into a place to argue which film you liked better. they're both great

21. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I haven't seen either and have no opinion one way or another!

22. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'm dying to see The Lighthouse.

23. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I don't think it's been a terrible year for movies. Just kind of mediocre.

michael_gatto likes this.
  24. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

There have been a few I’ve missed out on so my viewing is far from complete, but this year features new Bong Joon Ho, Tarantino, Aster, Eggers, Denis, Sodebergh, Scorsese, Baumbach, Peele, Korine, Jarmusch, Malick, Haynes, Gerwig, Cretton, Miike, Gray, and of course Tom Hooper’s opus still to come.

25. username

hey you lil piss baby

I'm curious to see the role this film will play in opening more people up to "foreign" language films. It seems to have already hit more screens than most non-English films ever see in the States. It seems in a strong position to be a foundational work for a new wave of cinephiles (I don't like this word but it's the easiest way to convey "people who are mostly interested in film outside the dominant systems" without sounding like a complete piece of shit).