Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Parasite (Bong Joon-ho, 2019) Movie • Page 10

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by TJ Wells, May 21, 2019.

1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i was too worried in the beef cutting scene that she’d chop her thumb off tbh

honestly, for me, the most haunting scene was how casually she kicked the former housekeeper down the stairs, which strangely played for laughs at our showing

coleslawed and incognitojones like this.
  2. username

hey you lil piss baby

Wait until you see Bacurau :upside:

(I mostly agree though, it's very high up there for me too)

yung_ting likes this.
  3. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like it’s meant to be? At least initially. It’s funny in how abrupt it is, my theater definitely laughed as well.

coleslawed, Zilla and phaynes12 like this.
  4. mad

I was right. Prestigious

My reaction to that kick was a laugh followed quickly by “ohhhhhh nooooo”

5. phaynes12

i guess maybe. it going pretty quickly to her slamming her head against the wall was pretty jarring to me

6. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

What’s everyone’s favorite shot? For me it’s easily when she’s sitting on top of the erupting toilet and just casually smoking.

7. mad

I was right. Prestigious

8. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I was pretty into the piss slow mo.

9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Aesthetically, I absolutely loved that house, haha. As someone really into architecture and design, I was paying as much attention to the set itself as much as the characters and story, haha. Clean, elegant, functional, minimal, with a yard that makes it seem like you're in a really secluded zone of nature - just a really cool house overall

trevorshmevor and imthesheriff like this.
  10. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I don't mind a good critique, I think there are lots to be made with this film, but the few in this thread I've seen just seem sort of undercooked and weirdly applied.

I mean I guess I just don't understand why you're categorizing this as a political film, I don't know who brought that up. To me its just a damn good film with a lot of political and social themes relating to class. I don't think it is trying to be a political film with a clear political message, I think it presents a very nuanced and complex set of ideas to create a satire of a social system.

Politics are involved for sure, but it seems so far removed that looking at the film through that lens seems sort of, I guess unnecessary.

11. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

The way the basement is lit led to some of my favorite shots.

aoftbsten, coleslawed and phaynes12 like this.
  12. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Strongly recommend the most recent Still Processing where they discuss both Parasite and Watchmen.

13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

My favorite shot/scene was one of the first when they’re looking for WiFi and the siblings end up with the toilet. Really poignantly framed the situation.

14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

The amount of symbolism stuffed into this movie is incredible

15. phaynes12

the scene with the projectile shit.... this is cinema

16. flask

Trusted Supporter

The whole flood scene was soooo heartbreaking. Crazy how this movie constantly shifts tones and never feels ~off~. It’s a perfectly executed balancing act.

17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Think this will run in contention for Best Picture?

18. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I think it’s almost certainly a lock for a nomination. We’ll have to see what happens past that though.

19. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, Best Picture and Director noms are likely happening.

20. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I would say Director is even more of a lock than Picture. They’ve really enjoyed going with wildcards there recently.

21. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

The “ghost man” the kid sees

22. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The slow-mo pissing/water dousing was sublime

incognitojones and Mrplum5089 like this.
  23. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

i dont think i can pick a favorite, but the flood scene where the daughter just sits on the toilet nonchalantly as shit explodes everywhere hasnt been mentioned

i was just thinking there are so many levels of shit metaphors that can be used there haha

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  24. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

oh wait nvm. took me a while to realize that was what you were referring to haha

phaynes12 likes this.
  25. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah that’s what I said

coleslawed and zigbigwig like this.