Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Paramore Band • Page 49

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 4, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

whoa
    I never meant to brag

2. Album's still catchy as balls.

disambigujason and David Parke like this.
  3. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I feel like soooo many small bands’ catalogues disappeared forever with Purevolume. RIP I loved that site so much.

awakeohsleeper and Jason Tate like this.
  4. Re-reading it now ... my review of the album is like 25% awful and totally wrong, 30% right and I still agree with, and 45% trying to keep "cool points" because I was afraid the dudes at PunkNews.org would make fun of me for writing about how much I liked it at the time so I toned a lot of it down and put a lot of caveats in where I shouldn't have. Big, big regret. The one review I still cringe reading and had to put "editors notes" in years later.

5. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Share it with us! I'm sure I read it back in the day, but I don't remember any of it. Maybe some jokes about wanting the airwaves back eventhough they didn't have them yet?

6. personalmaps

I feel like I picked a fight with someone on AP.net for reviewing it and saying something along the lines of “fun for a summer BBQ but you won’t remember it by the time the night’s over” because I used to pick fights with everyone abt dumb shit instead of important shit.

7. LOL I definitely wrote that.
    So it is within that run around the neighborhood that I had my first sugar-filled taste of the new album from Paramore. For my entire jog I enjoyed the music – by the time I had arrived back home and finished a cold shower – I had completely forgotten it. And that is about the most accurate description I can give of my feelings on this album: It’s extremely catchy and almost instantly forgettable. Nothing I’d decide to listen to on a daily basis, but an album I wouldn’t mind hearing on a road-trip, beach party, or BBQ.1

And hate that line so much I added a footnote years later:
    Note: I still listen to this album on a near monthly basis some 10 years later. I was flat out wrong about saying it was forgettable.

8. manoverboard365

Trusted

Well color me stupid. Took me 12 years to realize she's saying "brag," not "break."

9. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I remember that she had a Flyers jersey on in the "Pressure" music video, which was a combo amazing enough to send me right to their Purevolume.

personalmaps likes this.
  10. personalmaps

I want you to know that this review put 14 year old me into a rage tailspin and I spent the entire night ranting abt it in the rec room of my high school’s dorms.

11. [​IMG]

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

high school dorms? rec room?
    aww bb kayla

beachdude and Jason Tate like this.
  13. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

This thread has gotten me to play Riot! for the first time in a long time. Hooks galore. Admittedly, I like the last two albums much more, but for a mid-80 degrees day, this is doing the trick.

14. My buddy from college produced all their videos thru the self titled record. I remember loving emergency so damn much it was fun to see them blow up with Riot!

beachdude, TheJMan and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  15. personalmaps

Yo I went to a nutso private Christian school!! Like i didn’t live in the dorms bc I was in the same city but all my friends did so it was wild times.

beachdude and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  16. I first heard Paramore in late 2008 thanks to the release of Decode. I fell madly in love with the darkness of the video, the guitars, and Hayley’s voice was simply otherworldly. It was life changing to see a young woman in such a successful rock band. Hayley made me feel like I could do absolutely anything. I told my dad about it (I was 12 years old at the time), seeing how excited I was, he downloaded Riot! for me. I listened to it exclusively for months. Paramore were my gateway to pop punk. They were also that band that was “mine” for a while. My parents were strict as my sister and I were growing up. We spent a majority of our school holidays at my grandparents house. They hardly speak English and the generational gap is really felt - especially for me. I harboured a lot of resentment towards organised religion because of the way my grandparents were twisted due to their beliefs. My sole escape at the time was Riot!. In 2009, I bought Brand New Eyes on CD, the first album I ever bought with my own allowance. In 2014, I saw Paramore live for the first time. Struggling with suicidal ideation and recovering from the aftermath of an abusive relationship, that night was the time I felt free and happy in years. I saw Paramore again last year. Both times, they inspired the most ecstatic happiness I haven’t felt at any other concert. Riot! was the first album to change my life.

17. Omni

Regular

I started saying "catchy as balls" after reading that review and still say it to this day because the phrase catchy as balls is itself catchy as balls.

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. [​IMG]

19. Omni

Regular

Just listened to Riot during my workout because of this thread. Album still rules.

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

I didn't listen to Riot! in full until a few years after it came out but the singles put them on the map for me and eventually once I got more into music they became my favorite band.

21. Never have I been so absolutely certain a band I liked was about to monumentally explode than I was after getting through the first chorus of Pessimist after torrenting Riot when it leaked. Was definitely a fan of AWKIF but geez what a game changer

22. Lucas27

Trusted

You know, the fascinating thing about Riot! is that for me it’s easily the 2nd weakest Paramore record artistically speaking, but I’ll be darned if that record doesn’t have a much bigger presence in my life than the others. I think of those songs more often by virtue of how catchy they are and how often they’re played on the radio. It’s also when I became a fan.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  23. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Y'all I just went on a deep internet dive trying to find these pictures from my first Paramore show, idk why but I had a violent need to see if these pictures still existed somewhere because I've since lost them. AND I FOUND THEM!!! They're truly awful (check out that sick flip phone) but like I'm so happy to have found them hahaha. Oh man that dress, Jeremy's outift, I'll never get over it. This was September 27, 2006. The bbs!

IMG_0336.jpg IMG_0332.jpg IMG_0331.jpg IMG_0334.jpg

EDIT: I'll also note that according to posts where I found the pics tickets for this tour were ~$15. Yeah those were the days eh?

24. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

You just made me realize I graduated HS a year before Misery Business was released. I went all the way through my teenage years before hearing Paramore. Wow

beachdude, Dirty Sanchez and K0ta like this.