Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Paramore Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Paramore is an American rock band from Franklin, Tennessee, formed in 2004. The band currently consists of lead vocalist Hayley Williams and guitarist Taylor York.

2. Tennessean:
    Paramore and former bassist Jeremy Davis are locked in a legal dispute over whether Davis was an employee for the Nashville pop-rock band or a partner in the underlying business entitled to a share of royalties and touring revenue.

This news bums me out. Mainly cause I know the only one winning in this is the lawyers.

3. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

I wonder, is Jeremy looking for touring revenue going forward? Like, I get royalties for tracks you played on (although, if he wasn't a songwriter, he wouldn't get that much of a cut would he?) but if Jeremy isn't in the band anymore I don't know how he'd be entitled to touring revenue.
    Then again, I don't know anything about music business law.

4. That was how it read to me, but I didn't actually read any of the legal documents yet. Whole thing sucks.

5. AndrewSoup

the thread on AP is going exactly how i imagined it would, lol. typical dudes trying to shit on and/or delegitimize Hayley as usual

triptych likes this.
  6. If they only knew the shit about their favorite bands.

7. AndrewSoup

oh, i'm sure those dudes are conveniently ignoring that. that "dubey" user is just went out of their way to be awful about it. ridiculous how out of their way people go to give Hayley shit. jeez.

8. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

While the arrangement that Paramore had from the beginning does strike me as a little strange, the thing is... I don't know how most of my favorite bands work, nor do I need to, and there's every possibility that they have similar arrangements. I don't feel it's fans' place to judge how the business arrangements of a band are set up.

9. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

It really and truly depends on the contract Jeremy signed. Which is what I've been trying to beat into everyone's heads. But yeah. It's a shitty situation and I hope it gets sorted out in a manner that works for all parties.

bornunprepared likes this.
  10. Oh god the whining in that thread is absurd. 100% certain those most throwing shit are non-fans of the band in the first place. What we know about this situation right now might be the least dramatic band story I've heard in years.

11. I'd venture a guess that the Foo Fighters have a similar arrangement and no one gives a fuck.

beachdude42 likes this.
  12. Meerkat

I don't know how many times I need to say it: It is incredibly common, it does happen to a ton of bands, and it's not a big deal

cshadows2887 and Jason Tate like this.
  13. I KNEW IT!

cshadows2887 and iplaydrums like this.
  14. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

[​IMG]

cshadows2887 and iplaydrums like this.
  15. AndrewSoup

i don't know why people are so dedicated to talking about how much "drama" this band has

16. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

This is too good to just like. This needs to be fully appreciated with a quote.

iplaydrums likes this.
  17. Meerkat

I was trying to think of a good reference to channel my frustration into and this just felt right. I knew it in my bones.

18. AndrewSoup

i feel bad for not getting whatever reference you were making....

19. Meerkat

It's from Friends. One of the big Ross/Rachel fights

AndrewSoup likes this.
  20. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Bummer about the lawsuit/legal issues.

I'm just waiting for new music.

21. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

bowed the heck outta that news thread haha. i explained what we know to my boyfriend who worked for a law firm for a few years, and he said it sounds like a cash grab, which is depressing. if he signed a contract, his "equity" in the business would have been predetermined and he would have known all along what his stakes were if he left the band. it's a bummer to see it turn out like this because it always seemed like hayley and jeremy had that kind of unshakable bond. was really hoping he just quit to be with his family.

22. AndrewSoup

same, honestly. Jeremy had been in the band for a while, i can't imagine he wouldn't know what his contract entailed

23. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I just don't understand how everyone is so up in arms about it right now. This deal has been known about for years. In fact it was a whole big stink ON AP a few years ago. Who's still surprised?

24. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Without knowing the particulars, this move always seemed like a cash grab via a settlement. My best guess is that yes, Jeremy knew where he stood on the contract and may have felt like he should have have a different equity share, title on the official document, or both. Paramore and or the label didn't give him what he wanted most likely. It's amazing how bent out of shape people get over titles. That's why everyone in corporate and banking jobs is a VP of something it seems. It makes them feel good and important. Pretty sad, but we are a heavy litigating society, so it's not a surprise that a successful band/business is seeing some of that action.

25. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

dudes who can't let it go, mostly haha. legit seems like the same few guys making a fuss every time it gets brought up.