Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Paramore Retiring “Misery Business” • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 10, 2018.

1. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Funny how that works, right? Haha i just meant those are some songs off the top of my head that I personally would rather hear at a show than MB, but other people might not care or think differently and that’s cool too.

2. This argument holds up a lot better if you equate the two instead of implying rap is worse. (It isn't.) There's a whole boatload of negative connotations and implications to that - mostly racial and cultural ones - there. And I don't know enough about you to know how familiar you are with that concept so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and explaining it.

Unless you're an anti-misogyny advocate for rap in general, bringing it up when and only when someone rightfully points out that misogyny exists in the white-male dominated pop punk and alt-rock scene is suspect at best and something a whole lot worse at worst. Regardless of whether or not the person saying it is white and male or not.

Food for thought.

3. Analog Drummer

Regular

i apologise that this little made up idea of me being racist in your head led you to wasting 5mins of your time having to write all that

4. I said what I said, nothing more. Wouldn't kill you to reciprocate the respect that's extended towards you. Have a good one.

5. She literally gave you the benefit of the doubt of NOT being racist. And of all the things you could have done with that information, the fact that THIS is how you chose to respond is...revealing.

6. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

It's just a racist thing to do is all.

coleslawed and Anna Acosta like this.
  7. Yup. I had the time today. Good to know it was well spent "having to write all that".

8. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

After playing this song every night for so many years,
    i bet it feels so good
    to retire it

heymattrick likes this.
  9. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

u r terrible

10. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

this is what i get when i let my heart win

11. prattsy

Regular

Hey - I'll be the other side of the forum spectrum here.

I recently created an account a few months ago to talk all things 'Tranquility Base' (:hearteyes:) as I saw people in the forum had legitimate insights and it wasn't simply keyboard warriors "trolling" around. Since registering, I've had legitimate discussions in many forums and have found that this community is a) here for the love of music, b) open to new music/opinions, and c) almost acts as a safe haven for music fans without bringing in the ugliness that exists in today's digital culture (ie, burner accounts, disparaging remarks, typical internet anonymous comments).
    So - thank you for demonstrating here what this website has shown me thus far - respect, and allowing the opportunity for discussion. I hope you continue to "have the time" as you've exhibited behaviours that have made me check in here day after day since joining.

Ben Lee likes this.
  12. You're welcome, and I'm happy to be that voice wherever possible. The positive reinforcement is certainly nice to hear!

Tempers run high when it comes to these topics - as well they should. That's why my policy is generally to avoid tone-policing from would-be keyboard warriors, especially ones whose personal backgrounds and experiences I'm aware of. You never know how many times someone has had to frustratingly make the same argument or defend their own experience with racism, misogyny, homophobia, anti-blackness, you name it. It's easy to SAY we want elevated discourse. It's much harder in the cold light of the internet, where you're hit with as many snarky responses (as evidenced earlier in this thread) and doubling down on discriminatory comments (or worse) as you are positive ones in this particular line of work. I'm certainly far from perfect, and have lost my temper more than once on similar subjects. I'm sure it'll happen again. But it's absolutely my goal to be an overall positive and constructive addition to the noise whenever I find it in myself to do so.

At any rate, I'm certainly glad you feel that way about the site. And for anyone who ever has a question about anything I post, especially regarding social justice, my inbox is open. I respond to respect, even when I don't agree with what's being said. It's the non-respectful takes (and it's very easy to tell the difference) that get the other kind of response.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  13. Eclipse

Regular

In ten minutes when you make some post about the SJW jumping down your throat and assuming things about you instead of having a discussion, I want you to remember this was your response to someone being kinder than they had to be and taking the time to explain implications behind words and assuming you meant well and not harm.

14. Analog Drummer

Regular

I’ve been given official warnings so I do not to wish to or believe I can respond anymore