Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Paramore Retiring “Misery Business” • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 10, 2018.

1. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I get all my paramore nostalgia from Pressure. luv that song.

2. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Never seen Paramore live but have enjoyed the bringing fans on stage from videos that I’ve seen, but also amenable to this perspective

Happy they’re putting the song to bed for now. The discography is so good with so many other songs worthy of being played

3. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Proposal: Replace it with an even older, but decidedly feel-good jam.

4. Analog Drummer

Regular

Do people get personally upset that they didn’t get dragged up on stage in a lucky dip? That’s like self loathing for not winning your lotto ticket

Raku likes this.
  5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

You say this like it's an argument for continuing to play the song, when it's really an argument for the opposite.

Like, why give your opinion on how someone else should deal with something from their past that they're not proud of?

6. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

cause the poster is v reactionary, Tim.

7. Analog Drummer

Regular

Why is everyone on this whole thread giving their opinion. Because everyone has something to say even if no one cares

8. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

looks like they've gotten what they wanted now

9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Blink-182 should take some notes.

KidLightning, laraheart and mercury like this.
  10. dumpweed41

My only worry with this is that I don't think it gets replaced with another early era song; when I saw them in Brisbane they only played three or four songs that weren't self titled or after laughter and I thought that was a shame.

11. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

No. Hence my question.

12. prattsy

Regular

Real question... is there a difference between this and when P!ATD use "whore" in their mega-hit from around roughly the same time period?

What?

13. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Nope! But I've seen some people try to justify it as Brendon (or Ryan, maybe? I can't remember who actually wrote the lyrics on Fever) "quoting" an overheard conversation whereas Hayley is outright calling somebody the word. Which is a load of bull and further proof that she has been held to a double standard.

Eclipse likes this.
  14. K0ta Sep 11, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 11, 2018)
    K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I'd trade MB for so many other songs anyway that they have dropped out of their set from back then: Pressure, Emergency, Whoa, All We Know, Conspiracy, For a Pessimist..., Miracle, Hallelujah, LTFB, etc etc. I mean this was the AL era and it was clear they were not interested in playing much old stuff (no AWKIF songs at all), and that seems to be a cathartic choice for them. There are a lot of old wounds. If you've been a Paramore fan even for the past few years you'd have seen some of them, but they've been through a lot as a band since the beginning.

I don't understand the debate really. When that song first came out, all the fans were like "OMG Hayley said whore!! I can't believe it!! Girl doesn't take shit!!" And we were all young and allowed that type of internalized misogyny (as female fans of the band) to dominate our narratives as we navigated a scene dominated by men.We have evolved past petty name calling and a song based around stealing a boy away (a boy with whom there are old wounds as well...) When Hayley was 17. Hayley is just willing to do something about it.

If Hayley is uncomfortable with it, that's her choice. Some Paramore fans (and admittedly people who will take any opportunity to trash the band) are intent on holding Hayley to some impossible standard of their own ideal of what she should be, wear, say and do. How about listening to her reasonings, accepting it, and moving on? We have 13 years of songs to love friends, let this one go.

15. ZeoVGM

Regular

Raku likes this.
  16. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

There's a difference between people's opinion supporting the right of Paramore to decide what songs they feel comfortable singing, and someone's opinion that implies they know what's right for Paramore more than the band themselves do.

17. Jared Luttrell

Regular

I understand why. Hopefully they will still include other songs from that album on their set lists though, lots of other good Riot songs to replace it with.

18. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I'm most upset by people who call it "Miz Biz." I've always hated that nickname.

Raku and Pepetito like this.
  19. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I mean, for starters...

"I need a girl that I can train"
    "Your mom's a whore"

both of those songs have shown up in their setlist recently.

20. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Never really cared for the song (not because of the lyrics), always just thought it was overrated, so, Im okay with this.

21. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

So does this mean we’ll start seeing the following make it into the setlist:

Brighter
    Here We Go Again
    Whoa
    Franklin
    Hallelujah
    When It Rains
    Miracle
    Turn It Off
    Looking Up
    Where the Lines Overlap
    All I Wanted
    Escape Route
    and Grow Up?

Because those songs are all jams which I don’t think I’ve seen them play live before & are easily better than Misery Business haha in all seriousness though good for them for taking this stance. No matter what takes its place, I’m sure their shows will continue to be an amazing experience

22. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Maybe their shows will be one song shorter now.

23. Analog Drummer Sep 11, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 11, 2018)
    Analog Drummer

Regular

For starters some rap songs that are recent prob should take notes before 20yr old blink songs

24. Analog Drummer

Regular

Hallelujah
    When It Rains
    Miracle
    Turn It Off
    Looking Up
    Where the Lines Overlap

Damn none of those songs are played? They’re all great songs. I miss old Paramore music. I’m gonna delve back in today

25. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I don’t disagree with that either but just because it’s happening somewhere else doesn’t excuse blink, or anyone for that matter.

mercury likes this.