Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Paramore Profiled for Billboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Billboard:

The band wrote the album’s closing track, “Thick Skull,” a marked sonic departure from After Laughter, on day one. “It had these shades of a few different eras of us being music fans, loving heavy, drone-y, almost shoegaze-y moments,” says Williams, also citing York’s clashing guitar patterns, Farro’s thunderous bursts of drumming and even her own rare piano playing on the song. “I was like, ‘Man, this sounds like a band I would love.’ ”

And:

“We don’t want to be a nostalgia band,” Williams says today, reflecting on that speech. “But I think what I felt was a mixture of vindication and also a lot of anger. I was really surprised that I had so much anger well up in me because I was like, ‘Wait a minute. They’re treating us like a prize now,’ but like, Fat Mike [of NOFX] used to tell people that I gave good rim jobs onstage when I was 19 years old. I do not think that that’s punk. I don’t think that’s the essence of punk. And I feel strongly that without young women, people of color and also the queer community, I just think we would still be where we were then.

“It felt like justification to be able to have the mic and to be one of the last bands that played,” she continues. “We hung out with My Chem a few minutes before we went on [on] the last weekend, and I think they feel very similarly about how they were received. And what it comes down to is that the fans are the ones with the power because otherwise, us and My Chem wouldn’t have been headlining that thing. And I think that’s beautiful.”

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. Wait a second.

Is she suggesting that Fat Mike isn't a good person?

3. thisisacting__

Regular Supporter

fat mike has always been a pos

Chloe, Turkeylegz and Brent like this.
  4. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Not exactly breaking news.

5. wildXonesX182

pump up the valuum

Riiight.... Hayley from the band Paramore is going to comment on "what punk rock is" LOL

You love fat mike or you hate fat mike, but fat mike is punk rock. Hayley sings in a pop band. Nothing to do with her being female. I am referring to her band and the music they play.

strummer and dnaps like this.
  6. Bobby

Trusted

People can still make observations w/o having been in a punk band. You don’t have to have played in a punk band to understand and identify a particular punk ethos and affirm or denounce different expressions of it. Efforts to make punk more inclusive (including the efforts of the people Hayley referred to) very likely wouldn’t align with the comment made by Fat Mike. Fat Mike can still be punk rock and also say some very un-punk rock things.

7. lol people like this still post here?

8. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Death, Taxes, and Punk Validity Disputes

9. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

“Punk” is more about an attitude than any bass line, distortion pedal or sleeveless t shirt you could ever have. Going against the grain and speaking your mind even when it’s unpopular is where it’s at.

10. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

You say Justin Bieber - I say AC/DC
    You say Miley Cyrus - I say Led Zeppelin
    You say T-Pain - I say Slipknot
    You say pop - I scream ROCK!

11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Everyone has the right to speak from their own experience. So, I could see how there is easily a reason she may not like him.

That said, she does sound a little ignorant following that comment on Mike considering that labels like Fat Wreck (run by Erin and Mike), and NOFX have always seems liked massive supporters of what people would consider the fringe community in punk since before she was ever born.

Look at the roster of bands they have when you speak about about women (young or old like Bad Cop/Bad Cop, Bombpops, Tilt, Pink and black records), the diversity of of having Two Heebs and Bean (according to NOFX) in the band, and bands like Hi Standard, Flatliners, Frenzal Rhomb, Useless ID from different parts of the world to create diversity and even Mike sounds very supportive in lyrics of the queer community (in his own blunt and sometimes vulgar way).

The question of is Mike a good person or bad person always seems ridiculous to me. He can be both like so many others. He’s a very creative artist and very successful entrepreneur. He’s just an idiot wayyyyyyyy too often. He doesn’t hide it though…..so at least you can make you’re own decision like Hayley did without feeling deceived.

Also, NOFX’s last two albums are so weak and fans do dictate who they wanna see and Paramore will do just fine and hopefully they don’t waste their time worrying to much about what Mike thinks.

12. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Yes sir. It’s not just a brand. Well put.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  13. lol

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  14. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Now I totally understand why Jason changed the name from absolutepunk.

15. Chloe

I love how the whole discourse about Fat Mike on this thread was brought upon by one remark Hayley made yet they’ve seemed to ignore the behavior it’s calling out. She was 19 ffs

16. So a woman, who has spent her entire career navigating the boys' club and enduring sexual objectification by grown men even earlier (ie. as a minor!!), recounts one instance of that, out of many, and the default mode for some of you is to nitpick her words, minimize her feelings, play devil's advocate, or side with the gross man she calls out. I don't think you realize it but that says so much about you.

Empathy isn't that hard

17. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

You can be inclusive and supportive of certain communities AND be a shitty person.

Someone’s ‘progressive’ views don’t mean they aren’t a dick.

Maybe Mike wouldn’t say that shit today, who knows. But if I was to bet, I think he’d double down and call anyone who cares about what he says dorks.

Also, L-O-L for anyone unironically sticking up for the ~punx ethos~ while having a blink-182 username.

18. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Exactly, Fat Mike can have good intentions and output at times, but he's still an irresponsible clown and a shithead in the wild - the Warped Tour stuff that's emerged from back in the day that I hadn't been aware of/didn't understand back then as a foreigner - just gross! No second guessing here that Hayley's the bigger person as a public figure and I'm glad she's been sharing her opinions (yes, on punk community as well, she'd have far more to say than anyone here sticking up for punk legitimacy hahh)

19. thisisacting__

Regular Supporter

fuck y’all in here trying to defend fat mike somehow. I don’t care what you think he’s given to a scene, he’s a shit human being and that speaks volumes.

artbynickferran likes this.
  20. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

How anyone could jump to his side after her quote is insane…a decent human would never say something like that let alone on a stage with thousands of people watching…

Bartek T. likes this.