Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Paramore Now Have Songwriting Credit on “Good 4 U” • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

If you think she stole that song, just lol. Embarrassing.

CarpetElf likes this.
  2. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

I just hate this trend in the industry. I hated Yellowcards lawsuit against Juice and I'm a huge Yellowcard fan.

If Olivia needs to give Paramore writing credits she should also give the writers of "Stop & Erase" by Selena Gomez writing credits for Good 4 U also. Let's search all of pop and pop rock and add another 20 names to the list. We could surely do it if we took the time and hunted songs down.

3. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Great find.

4. This case continues to baffle me. The similarities have been grossly exaggerated and this sets such a dangerous precedent for anyone wanting to make a career out of creating music... which doesn't happen in a vacuum. If this became the norm, I don't even want to wonder how many people this could affect on a retroactive level, and I'm sure those that would be the most would be smaller artists. Just the optics of it makes me sick.

5. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Seems like Pharrell and Robin Thicke losing that Blurred Lines lawsuit really set a bad precedent

6. WasteSomeTime

Regular

I personally didn’t think they sounded similar until I watched a video playing them both but the thing with this girl is it keeps happening. Probably not purposely but like it said it’s a bad look when it’s multiple songs and music videos

7. I don't think you have any idea what is actually happening as you seem hell-bent on wanting to paint her in a bad light like it's a black or white issue or that someone needs to be found guilty. The discussion is so much more nuanced than that. Have you ever written music or understand what the creative process looks like?

There's a wide difference between writing something that's loosely inspired by multiples influences, aka how music has historically always functioned, and releasing a song that's blatantly a rip-off. Olivia has clearly being doing the former so far. The bigger issue is that I'm very uncomfortable with the idea that you would now have to be even more cautious of your writing/creative process as to not be pressured into giving songwriting credits in the future. I can't think of any way that making this the norm would be tenable. What would be the parameters and who would be the judge of them?

The way Olivia of all people is being scrutinized for this strikes me as weirdly pointed, and I can't help but see it as outside parties seeing a new it girl and wanting to get a piece of her growing success.

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

It doesn’t “keep happening.” One instance was an interpolation of a piano line from a Taylor Swift song, which was credited from the beginning; those songs are melodically and lyrically very different despite the shared piano line, and are absolutely not copies of one another.

The “Deja Vu” thing, similarly, was a show of respect to Taylor, even though what that song shares with “Cruel Summer” is basically just some vocal inflection stuff on the bridge; those songs otherwise sound nothing alike and are absolutely not copies of one another.

This is the third instance. I’ll grant you it’s the one where there’s the most obvious similarity between the actual melodies, but you can pretty much chalk that up to the (very standard) chord progression. Also, since the song is produced in the style of Paramore, it’s a comparison people are more likely to make. If this song is presented as a piano ballad, I honestly don’t think it’s something anyone would even be talking about, which tells me the song is different enough to be its own thing. An homage? Sure. A copy, meriting writing credits for the inspiration? No way. We need a higher bar than this for what actually constitutes theft in music.

Please give us a list of your favorite artists so we can tell you all the times they “stole” from other music.

9. tomtom94

Trusted

100%

10. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

This is just going to get weirder and more out of touch.

Are they similar? Yes.
    Are they ‘copied’ or legitimately ‘plagiarized’? No.

Good lord, if this is the new precedent being set - Greta Van Fleet will need to just stop existing with the amount of Zeppelin and Queen influence they have baked into every song.

anotherpancake likes this.
  11. Tom Ed

As someone who was not a Paramore fan but very familiar with that song because it was a radio hit, I 100% thought this new song was someone doing a cover/new spin on the Paramore song. Again, as a non-fan of both things, this news just feels like it makes sense. I get things can sound coincidentally similar, melody wise, pace, chords, etc. - but this has like 9/10 things to me haha. Not saying she stole it purposely but it seems she was so heavily influenced to the point where she more or less did the same song, in my opinion.

12. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

On a related note: Hayley must be ecstatic to be associated with Josh again.

Brent and caakle like this.
  13. Chance Harbour

Regular

if music ceases to take inspiration, it’s doomed from the start

14. Thinking this was a cover of "Misery Business" is really just a self-own.

15. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

[​IMG]