Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Paramore Grab Another Gold Record

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. somethingwitty

Trusted

How is this record only gold? I don’t understand how streaming works now but it’s wild seeing a successful record like this that’s been or for a couple years just now going gold, yet viral meme songs go platinum in like a week or two.

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  3. sowrongitsryan

Regular

Not nearly as successful as anything else they’ve put out since Riot.

Seems like anyone who collects gold/platinum albums might be having anxiety about the scarcity of these plaques during the streaming era - “sales” are more easily gamed than before, and older, semi-popular songs come up in playlists years after they were released and accrue enough listens to warrant certification. Perhaps this more accurately- reflects how popular some music is, but I do think old random singles and albums are getting certified an odd # of years later when they perhaps never would have before (ADTR’s “I’m Made of Wax” in 2019, among many others). This album might have gone gold all along, but it’s just coming during a weird time imo (no hit song on the radio, etc.). Regardless, congrats to the band and everyone that has gotten their plaques recently.

falafelmywaffle likes this.