Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Paramore - After Laughter (May 12th, 2017) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ramres, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

I actually feel like The 1975 comparisons I've seen banded about (not just here and often in a negative way against Paramore) are pretty lazy.

This is really fun, good couple of listens now.

FTank, Awksome and Aregala like this.
  2. I get a "Cruel Summer" or even a little Pointer Sisters vibe in that chorus.

3. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I still want to keep expectations low. They're due for a bad album....its not possible!

4. jorbjorb

7 rings

going to be a rad summer album

lish likes this.
  5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Between this nfg and menzingers I have 3 albums that will be a ton of fun to play outside in the summer

6. It took me more than a couple years to give the last album a chance lol. I like it a lot now actually.

7. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

Definitely. Especially "Cruel Summer".

8. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Not at all

9. ramres

Next Show: Arlo Parks --4/2

Just noticed...this comes out the same day as Harry Styles's solo album...uh oh.

10. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

It feels so fucking good to hear some new Paramore, I have been on cloud 9 all day.

beachdude42, lish, Awksome and 2 others like this.
  11. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

That one is also having a pretty short rollout, his single only dropped a couple weeks ago.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  12. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

The song has already grown on me so much within a few listens and im here for it. Although i dont understand this overwhelming abundance of 80s influenced tunes lately from artist. Like i love 80s influenced but seems like its such a thing its gonna become lackluster with the saturation.

beachdude42 and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  13. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I think at this point it's people being influenced by other 80's influenced artists as much as it is genuine 80's influence.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  14. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Sometimes I do think we jump to fast to call any electronic-pop, 80s influenced. I dunno. Not saying that is in the case here. I just stop myself and think that every now and then.

15. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I think so too.

16. jakeryandesigns

Except it's really not that lazy when that's exactly what they are doing. You can't tell me someone involved with the band didn't look at the success of Walk The Moon's "Shut Up And Dance" or at what St. Lucia, 1975, etc. are all doing and say "hey, let's try that." The whole 80's gimmick is super in right now, the difference is with Paramore it feels way less natural, and I highly doubt this song will get the kind of radio play that their last few singles did.

17. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

you think it doesn't feel natural? To me this totally sounds like the next step from their last album. Honestly, this could've been on the last album. They've been leaning towards this sound for a while now.

18. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Problem is a lot of people don't have any reference of the '80s outside of CURRENT bands that are '80s-inspired. I agree with you, saying that anything '80s-sounding is influenced by the 1975 is laughable. That band did not invent '80s music.

19. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

What a single!! I'm really happy the band is happy and this new sound really fits them. The fact that they're not staying in the same sound to please fans says a lot. Also, JMJ being a god-teir producer as usual. We can thank him for that sick bassline, right?

20. I always find it weird when people try and pin something on "someone involved with the band" like bands have no agency or decision over the kind of music they wanna write.

Also, the entire argument sounds like Jesse Cannon and my talk about originality/trends on a recent podcast episode.

21. ramres

Next Show: Arlo Parks --4/2

Clip from new interview with Zane Lowe -- airing tomorrow on Apple Music @ 9am Pacific/12noon Eastern

beachdude42, Contender and Jason Tate like this.
  22. Schooner

Trusted

Yeah everything that sounds 80s just get given 1975 these days
    Im feeling it's more Australian electro pop influenced of a few years back like LadyHawke and more specifically Sia before she went huge in the We Are Born era
    It's like Clap Your Hands especially

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  23. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

its easy to get caught up in the logistics of what they sound like or trying to sound like. I think the intention and authenticity is important, with any music. I dont think theyre the kind of people to hop on a trend because its in or sells or whatever. I think paramore much like most of us here are very diverse music fans and i think we will be seeing a lot of different genres explored in the new album. Im not basing this on fact cause i dont know that but i have a feeling about it based on their willingness to never by stagnant. especially with some steps they took last record.

24. the white couch makes me antsy

beachdude42, Aregala and ramres like this.
  25. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

To me, this sounds a little Talking Heads, whereas Love Me was more INXS. But that might just be me.