Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Paramore - After Laughter (May 12th, 2017) Album • Page 165

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ramres, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I always thought of "Fast in My Car" as their approximation of a Yeah Yeah Yeahs song

it fuckin rules

2. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Fast in My Car is a fuggin jam, the moment that bass and snare starts popping I am here for it. Sounds like windows down, warm weather.

3. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

none of their openers are weak

4. unbornwhiskey Dec 28, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 28, 2018)
    unbornwhiskey

Trusted

the “filler” is part of the experience, the s/t is an expansive album with a lot of tangents. think of the interludes as breaks in the action that are also kind of a song suite about the band itself. they remind me of how fragments of “and that’s how i choose to remember it” keep surfacing on rilo kiley’s the execution of all things

5. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

also “crazy girls” is a fun power pop song with a great melody and an amazing hayley performance

6. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Yeah I don’t skip anything on S/T

7. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

"grow up" is still one of my favorite songs they've ever done and easily my favorite tour opener

those m83 synth flourishes at the end of the track >>>>>

8. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

S/T is an adventure from start to finish, it really feels like a journey. The rough aggressiveness ebbs and flows, dipping in and out of softness, highlighting struggles with faith, pain, and hope. It's chaotic in a way that is reminiscent of healing from trauma. To me, it's a pretty cathartic album but even at the end feels like a story that is still writing itself.

9. Now is a great song srry

ramres, beachdude, ChaseTx and 8 others like this.
  10. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

"now" is MASSIVE

bless JMJ

11. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Now is one of the very few bad Paramore songs sorry

12. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

THIS! The last 40 seconds of that song are amazing

beachdude, unbornwhiskey and Aregala like this.
  13. RobJGolde

I loved “Now” when it came out, but over time i’ve come to not like it lyrically. That being said, I agree that it sounds massive. I still listen to that song for how sonically brilliant it is.

heymattrick and Aregala like this.
  14. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I like Now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  15. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Crazy Girls is their Rilo Kiley song imo!!

Also I love the interludes because when I saw them on the arena tour, I was on the barricade and they performed one of them right in front of me and Hayley laughed and pointed at me during it. So the interludes were all worth it for that interaction.

16. RobJGolde

Update: finished After Laughter just now, and yeah, I’d be amazed if the band manages to top this record. I’m sure they will find a way to do it, but this record feels so complete musically, sonically and lyrically. I love how Hayley hardly explores her upper register on this album, allowing her lower register to be more up front and showing a certain vulnerability that we hadn’t seen before. That aspect of her performance on this record really caught me the first time i heard it last year and it still feels the same way a year and a half later. This fucking band, man.

ramres, beachdude, Mary V and 2 others like this.
  17. Lucas27

Trusted

Now is awesome. DON’T TRY TO TAKE THIS FROM ME.

(this is a funny comment because I’m quoting the song but I’m also being serious)

18. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Dead on!!!!!

unbornwhiskey likes this.
  19. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I also cannot tolerate any Now slander bc it came out just as I was getting out of my worst relationship and I still get choked up thinking about the lyric “now I never have to wonder what it’s like to sleep a year away.”

20. RobJGolde

I’vvvvvve never listened to Rilo Kiley...

(Ducks)

But for real, where’s a good place to start?

21. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

start w/ The Execution of All Things

One of the best albums of 00s indie rock imo

EarthShifts and jordalsh like this.
  22. RobJGolde

Thanks, friend! I’ll check it out

Aregala likes this.
  23. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

great post, 1000 percent true

K0ta likes this.
  24. Lucas27

Trusted

Welp that does it. Gotta listen to s/t ASAP.

25. heymattrick

Sending my love

Daydreaming, Last Hope, and Proof are definitely my favorite songs off S/T. I'll never forget being at Monumentour at Red Rocks in 2014, feeling like I was at rock bottom, and hearing Last Hope live.

"It's not that I don't feel the pain, it's just I'm not afraid of hurting anymore"

Then I turned my life around.