Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Paramore - After Laughter (May 12th, 2017) Album • Page 163

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ramres, Apr 19, 2017.

1. prattsy

Regular

2. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Your initial post makes it sound like it’s a bad world if people feel internal strife over calling people a whore and I do not think that is the bad part about this situation at all. Please correct me if I misinterpreted.

3. JM95

Trusted

It's not the fact that she feels turmoil over it, that she finds it spiteful and cruel or whatever - God knows if everyone was honest and humble enough to be self-critical in that way, this world wouldn't be the fucking mess that it is - what confused me was more the idea that there are people who have criticised her or brought that lyric up in such a way where she's had to continually apologise for it, as if a teenager writing a slightly spiteful song about a girl who supposedly manipulated her friend (which I seem to remember is the story behind the song) is worth bringing up years later as a way to have a go at her. I was asking if that was what had happened.

4. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Ah, good call. Kind of hard to tell with the strobes and it looked like he was playing a small kit, but looks like you're right since he's got a tambourine after the band comes back in with the fans. Initially looked like he was drumming alongside Zac which blew my mind because to pull that off live and not throw each other off, you'd have to be incredibly in sync.

bodkins likes this.
  5. prattsy

Regular

All my information is from this article : Paramore's Hayley Williams on Controversial 'Misery Business' Lyric: 'I Was a 17-Year-Old Kid'

So correct me if I don't know the full details. I agree that calling people whore's or honestly any bullying is awful..., but I think it's weird when people listen to other peoples creative art and feel they are owed an apology. In this case, this was a lyric written by a 17 year old girl - likely full of angst and that classic teenage aggression. Does she feel different today than she did when she was 17, absolutely, but it's no reason to feel the need to say "Sorry I wrote what I did a decade ago." Hayley's a badass and showed humility, but it's a shame that people felt so offended for it to be an issue. A lot of male performers (hell, even tame ones like FOB) have lyrics from their early years that are a little cringe-worthy.

6. prattsy

Regular

Ah I just replied and we are thinking along the same lines, I think

7. personalmaps

Looks like we are mostly on the same page, sorry for misunderstanding. Crossposting from the accountability thread:

prattsy likes this.
  8. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

do you guys know if they ever sell tour merch online? i missed out on the slides :(

9. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I never like Paramore merch.

Good for my wallet.

10. prattsy

Regular

Probably didn't word my initial post well enough. I agree 1000% with what you wrote / quoted

11. Iain

Regular

I have seen a few bands do it. For example, Brand New had a similar live drum setup but the 2nd drummer had more of an impact on their sound compared to Paramores imo. From what I recall from a couple of times I saw Paramore perform live, the 2nd drummer for most of the set isnt playing any drums but peripheral instruments like you mentioned. Although i am sure there are 3 or 4 songs that have a drum element co-ordinated between both drummers which make for a cool effect. For example this intro to their tour middle to late AF tours, i feel the side drummer adds alot of feel to this but does also play some drums during it. Personally one of my favourite ever intros by a band live:

12. A lot of psych-rock bands do double drums, like King Gizzard or Thee Oh Sees. It's pretty cool to see them both going at it, but I feel that it rarely adds a ton to a live show beyond aesthetics.

13. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

himynameisiain, Barresi and Omni like this.
  14. ramres

Next Show: Panchiko -- 5/3

Some words from Hayley:

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 9.12.31 PM.png

15. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

K0ta, JamesMichael, beachdude and 2 others like this.
  16. personalmaps

Forever so grateful to have her as a role model in my life for so many important things.

Jason Tate, K0ta, Mary V and 2 others like this.
  17. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Great post. Yeah I think they deserve some time off.

After Laughter is definitely one of the best albums to come out in some time and I appreciate how open Hayley has been during this era.

K0ta, teebs41, Dan O'Neill and 2 others like this.
  18. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Every day Hayley gives us a new reason to be grateful for her :verysad:

19. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

happy 30th (!!) birthday Hayley !!

20. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Couldn't have said it better than T & Z did.

Aregala likes this.
  21. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

It’s so weird to think about the fact that i’m gonna be 30 soon, and have been listening to this band for nearly 15 years. To grow up with her and their music, and watch her grow as an artist and as a woman the way that she has has been really special especially considering the scrutiny she’s always been under, particularly coming up in a male-dominated scene. I wish I had a tenth of the determination and talent that she has. It goes without saying, she’s a fucking legend (they all are, of course).

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It seems fitting that she's like 2 weeks away from being exactly a year older than Taylor Swift

Sorry to blow your mind @personalmaps

23. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Whoa and she’s 2 months away from being 8 years older than me. Blows my mind.

24. chelsealouanne

Regular

And to think, we have been following her since she was in her teens!