Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Paramore – After Laughter • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 16, 2017.

1. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I finally ran into Taylor at GC out here. I always take the approach of not wanting to bother anyone though, so I just gave him the "I know who you are and appreciate your work" head nod and went back to crying about how much it costs to replace a broken cymbal.

2. Have I not run into you yet? Sadly, if I did see you, I'd probably be upset that you don't actually look like Animal

3. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I lament the same fact each and every day of my life.

4. MikeC18

Caught in the Middle is so good. Really digging the direction they went with this album.

5. AsfAstAswegofar

Regular

Fantastic album by a very talented band. I can't give it a 10/10 because their last album was unbelievably perfect to me and made it a tough act to follow. That being said, it comes close. Love "Tell Me How" and "Fake Happy" especially. Great review BTW

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  6. AsfAstAswegofar

Regular

Agreed, well said. That self-titled album was a rarity. A perfect 10/10 .

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  7. Lucas27

Trusted

I love how this review focuses so much on the album experience as a whole and this statement really sums up why I love this record so much. My favorite albums of all-time are the ones that effortlessly go from one style to another while simultaneously making me wonder how the heck it happened. That's why albums like Brother, Sister and Vheissu will always be two of my favorite albums. It sounds weird, but After Laughter feels almost like the pop equivalent of those records in terms of it being perfectly cohesive but super diverse. And it's quickly becoming one of my favorite albums I've heard in the last few years.

Awesome review, Craig. I'd think it's well-written if I didn't agree with it, but it sums up my own thoughts on the album better than I could.

Chase Tremaine and K0ta like this.
  8. Hard times, for sure.

9. getupkid53 May 17, 2017
    (Last edited: May 17, 2017)
    getupkid53

I think you're missing the point of the drums on this record, or at least we see this album through much different lenses. Everything Zac is or isn't doing compliments the songs well. There's loads of percussion on this album that would be buried by more 'experimental' drumming. Not to mention there's more complex bass lines, layered guitar parts (many that are also percussive in their own right), and giant synths and pads. The drums are there to hold together the rest of the song, not stand out (which was the case with S/T and before). Listen to that groove on 'forgiveness'. It sounds relatively simple, but is everything that song needs to slay, and it's more complex than at first sight when you break down the hi hat pattern. Zac doesn't really play anything on this record straight; definitely nothing straighter than 'Aint it fun' or 'Still into you'.. even with that clave in the bridge. Ilan is a monster, but also played to those songs and let the other instruments shine in there. S/T is a mostly a rock or pop/rock record, and has rock drumming, this is a pop record and the drumming couldn't be more suited to it. Non drum set percussive elements are meant to stand out in this record in a way they weren't with previous recordings. This record is summer pop perfection. Justin killed the production, the mix is great, and if the instruments were any busier, Haley's exceptional lyrics would have been lost on the casual listener. This record, whether intentional or not, is tailored for the radio. I think Zac heeded Tony Williams advice about playing music with people really well.

*Those round badge Gretsch's sound sooo freaking good too.
    *Just for fun, listen to Ilan's Guitar Center drum off solo from like 2014. The chops are cool and I can't get enough of the open handed style, but what's most impressive is how he just buries the click under that electronic groove he created. It's so smooth. I agree he could be a chameleon on the kit if given the chance, but his entire background is 'rock drummer', even with all the great electronic stuff with NIN. That's what he's getting hired for. FON, Denver Harbor, Lost Prophets, NIN, A and A, Paramore, New Regime. All rock bands, very loosely stated.

10. bodkins

Trusted

Ilan's drumming was great on S/T, don't get me wrong, and it's totally cool to like that over what Zac does here. That said, saying the drums here are boring/they made him keep it simple is totally unwarranted. There's a lot of ridiculous shit happening in the drums on this record in a really good way. It's nuanced and I think upon initial listen it might could sound "simple", but I think that's the mark of a musician in control of his instrument. Could provide a ton of examples on the record, but if you want it just listen a little more intently, it's there for sure.

Good review Craig. This statement is exactly how I feel about the record, and why it's probably going down as my favorite by them. That and it feels gooooooood.

11. Paramore has the most impressive career in the entire scene. So inventive, so non conventional, while keeping their mainstream appeal, and without breaking their roots. Say what you want about the record, the fact is that they keep getting better, and I can't think of anything that could stop them at this point. They've gone through so many hard times (no pun intended), yet each time they come back stronger than ever. It's mindblowing, and increases my respect for Hayley, Taylor, and Zac.

Also, just please, let go of your expectations. This isn't a rock or pop rock album. Like, let's be real, if you are disappointed because you don't get what you expected, that's your own fault, not Paramore's. They do what they want, so all this talk of "free reign" or whatever doesn't make any sense, it's pure speculation based on nothing. Zac's drumming style is perfect for this record, and doesn't deserve all the criticisms I've seen there already. Technicality =/= quality, just keep that in mind when listening to this.

I feel like that Max Martin in depth interview from few months ago should be posted on every thread related to albums and album reviews. That guys gets it.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.