Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Paramore’s Influence Is All Around Us

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Quinn Moreland, writing for Pitchfork:

Now, Paramore’s influence is being felt by a new group of artists navigating the turbulence of youth, when every heartbreak and setback can feel apocalyptic. Beyond Moriondo, the band’s sound and snarl can be heard in the gleeful middle finger that is Olivia Rodrigo’s No. 1 hit “good 4 u,” the Hot Topic thrash of Willow Smith’s “Transparent Soul,” the diaristic bliss of girl in red’s “Serotonin,” and Billie Eilish’s caustic eye-rolls. That these artists were an average of 5-and-a-half years old when Riot! was released only underscores Paramore’s staying power—and Williams’ role as a sage pop-punk den mother.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

that title is more fitting for Flyleaf...just sayin'

3. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Eh, both bands dropped their debut albums the same year (2005), and Flyleaf didn’t really thrive or influence much outside the hard rock bubble of the aughts like Paramore did. (Unless this is just an All Around Me joke, in which case I apologize for being humorless.)

Ska Senanake and Chase Tremaine like this.
  4. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Crazy seeing a new generation get ahold of the music criticism platforms and re-contextualizing certain acts. Pitchfork stuck their nose up at Paramore in the 00's while trying to convince everyone that Animal Collective were the future of music which just makes it's extra awesome so see articles like this written.

5. Marty

Local man.

I remember being made fun of for liking Paramore back in 2006 and then even more when Riot! was released. I’m glad people are appreciating their work.

It honestly just highlights how reviews and critics are ultimately just opinions, not gospel. I hope other bands / musicians get a similar re-evaluation.

Bartek T. and Chase Tremaine like this.
  6. Allthegiganticthings

Regular

I’ve casually listened to Paramore for about 15 years, and just recently started introducing my daughter to them. She heard Olivia Rodrigo’s “brutal” and is now interested in rock songs with female leads. She’s just a little shy of four years old—So fun to share music with her, and mind blowing to say the least! Not that Mickey Mouse clubhouse doesn’t also rock…

7. brothemighty

Trusted

Pitchfork is garbage

Representative of a whole scene of stupid white people who think they're geniuses

8. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

I like Paramore and a lot of these acts but I do feel like some of these comparisons are forced. Is that a hot take or

sowrongitsryan likes this.
  9. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah, I especially don't really see how this applies to Billie Eilish

sowrongitsryan likes this.
  10. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Without saying that her music directly draws inspiration from Paramore, she's always been really vocal about her love for Hayley.

11. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

That's aggressive.

skoopy, RaginCajun and sowrongitsryan like this.
  12. I don't think it's a hot take. It would be less egregious if these takes didn't tend to erase everyone but Paramore who was in this vein at the time that CLEARLY sonically influenced today's artists. It's tokenizing and misogynistic, albeit likely unintentional. (And tbh I'm not speaking as much on the whole of this specific piece but just on takes like this piece's intro paragraph as a general rule.)

Also, respecting and loving an artist doesn't necessarily mean they're who influenced your music. I love a lot of stuff that I don't write like, and the fact is many of these comparisons are stemming mainly from shared gender FIRST. That's the issue. It's not that the influence isn't there - it's just that you know folks default to Hayley comparisons because it's easy.

skoopy, sowrongitsryan and cosmickid like this.
  13. Yourbiggestflan

Regular

Very much agreed, but something to keep in mind is that most of the perspectives and opinions expressed on the website here are from people who were pretty much immersed in this scene growing up. We have much more of an over-arching knowledge about this stuff. From what i see from Gen Z and the younger generation (which this article is focusing on) a lot of them like a specific song here or there. Genres, albums, bands, etc. aren't as immersive to most like they were for a lot of us growing up. So truly Paramore is one of the few that over time seem to have that staying power; and there's no doubt Hayley was and is a flagship for fem-representation in rock and alternative music as a whole. While the article kind of seems heavy-handed and sort of naive to me, I'm here for it. Keep them coming, PF! haha

SuNDaYSTaR and Anna Acosta like this.
  14. Yes, I kept this in mind. That's why I said I was speaking to the larger trend which has been a thing for over a decade now, and not as much this specific piece. But also there's the fact that a lot of these young women have been directly influenced by massive male artists creatively. And those comparisons never really seem to get made without a million and one qualifiers -since they're not men, we're gonna compare them to Hayley.

Honestly my frustrations with influence discussions are super NOT generation (or Paramore) specific because this pattern always repeats itself. Influence is very rarely linear and it tends to get treated like it is. But that's just me nitpicking something very common amongst us humans and I realize that. End of the day, it's awesome that ~the youth~ are bonding with any of that music at all! I just wish we'd (meaning society or what have you) be less gender essentialist in our analysis about it.

15. brothemighty

Trusted

16. brothemighty

Trusted

Music journalists see a woman in a band and only know how to compare them to bands with other women in them

Geniuses, every one of them

17. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

It's actually cool to see cause the local pop radio station here NEVER played stuff like Paramore, panic at the disco, my chemical romance etc even when they had big singles and were huge in popular culture. They eventually started playing fall out boy when dance dance came out but that was sort of the one token band. I remember flipping out when I heard sugar we're going down on a radio station out of town and turned it up even thru the static because I just never heard that stuff on the radio. Now I hear those bands old songs on the pop station all the time. Cool to see them get their due

Also Paramore inspired me to dye my hair after having their music videos on in the background this week. Granted my hair is nowhere near as cool as Hayley's but she's such a fun style inspiration