Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Panda Bear - Buoys (February 8, 2019) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Nov 8, 2018.

1. radiodead

Trusted

Revisited this is morning. It’s good!

2. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

wow. the latest in my quar music realizations is animal collective/panda bear. i get it now, i think, and holy shit!

zmtr likes this.
  3. Cody

sorry, i haven't even heard buoys yet, but i couldn't find an overall thread, and all this material i'm hearing so far is incredible.

these vowel sounds are immaculate

4. zmtr

Trusted

Took me a long time to "get it" but I literally remember where I was and what I was doing when it finally clicked.

Cody likes this.
  5. Cody

it's so funny to look back and think how unapproachable and alienating i always thought they were. while that's still true (maybe?), there's such immediacy and undeniable beauty to most of their melodies that i'm a little sad i didn't realize it until so recently. pop, but interplanetary pop or something.

zmtr likes this.
  6. zmtr

Trusted

What are your favorite songs/favorite album as of now?

7. Cody

PB Vs. the GR is oddly enough the one that knocked it all loose for me. "Come to Your Senses" is fucking masterful in particular. Tomboy is also amazing, and then Sung Tongs/Strawberry Jam are what I've really gotten into full band-wise. where should i head next?

8. zmtr

Trusted

Person Pitch is basically an acid soaked version of Pet Sounds so if you're into that sorta thing definitely check that out.

The "Meeting Of The Waters" EP from 2017 has two of their most beautiful (and also easily digestible) songs. Man of Oil and Selection Of A Place. It was recorded live on location in the Amazon Rainforest.

I also have a huge soft spot for Campfire Songs which is probably them at their most ambient. 5 songs recorded back to back in 1 take on a porch on a cold day in November. If you like stuff like Grouper you'll probably love this. It's fucking insane that they made something this beautiful in 1 take like that.

The critical reception for Painting With was pretty mixed but "FloriDada" is one of my favorite tracks of theirs. It's such a fun, catchy song. There's really nothing like it, lol.

9. zmtr

Trusted

All that said, I'm pretty confident saying that MPP is still the most essential record in the catalog. It's perfect.

10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Floridada is real fun. MPP is their peak for sure

11. Horrorca

Trusted

MPP is what they will be remembered for by most people & it’s an immense achievement bridging the underground & the mainstream scenes at the time which doesn’t happen very often - everyone all across the board loved it, like, they played it on the radio but all the freaks where super into it as well - a true celebration of music

but the real ones know Feels is where it’s at - magical album

Gjpeace and zmtr like this.
  12. zmtr

Trusted

Need to give Feels some listens soon. I'm still a pretty big noob when it comes to them!