Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pale Waves Band • Page 9

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by RyanRyan, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

The vocal effect in the middle of One More Time is terrible lol

2. RyanRyan

I enjoy the song, but as Paddy says, that effect ain't great. And just urgh - I really hope there's some variation in the album. This song feels like a filler song to me, nothing I wouldn't expect on a Pale Waves record. Hit me with a depressing banger or something please! I don't like that One More Time is what they're using to push the record...worries me a little.

3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

It's out there now.

4. RyanRyan Sep 13, 2018
    (Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2018)
    RyanRyan

Yeah I’m trying to source it now to no avail. Got the vinyl coming tomorrow but I’m anxious about it and wanna just get the first listen out the way.

EDIT: listening now, hoping for the best haha:teethsmile:

5. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

Have you had a dispatch notification (presuming you ordered from Dirty Hit)?

6. RyanRyan Sep 13, 2018
    (Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2018)
    RyanRyan

Not yet no. Which is alarming. But things arrive from them with none sometimes so I'm holding out for that.

7. RyanRyan

So I've gone and listened to all the new songs and I'm actually happy with them for the most part. The re-recording of Television Romance is interesting - I still prefer the original though. Wonder if this was what @Jason Tate was referring to regarding the editing...sounds like the guitars were recorded in another room on this.

Red I'm not huge on, One More Time sounds like something you'd hear from an episode of Hannah Montana, and I personally don't think Kiss should be on there. But other than that it's...decent. I won't lie and say I'm not disappointed, and I do think had they released this album last year with the songs they used as standalone singles (Honey, Television Romance, New Year's Eve, My Obsession, The Tide, Heavenly, Black, etc) as tracks it would've been a much more solid debut, but overall I'm satisfied I guess.

Also, has Honey been re-re-recorded? It sounds even more reverby than the rerecording did?!

8. drewinseries

Drew

I swear Honey on spotify has been different for a bit, at least vocally.

9. RyanRyan

The version you're referring to had different elements yeah! Extra synth parts, alternate vocals (including sighing), etc. The album version sounds different to that one too?!

10. lewispoole

Listened to it for the first time about an hour ago.

Sounds in general pretty good, but the only new songs that are standing out are When Did I Lose It All, She and Karl - which feels like all the slow songs.

I'm still completely in love with Noises, Black and Television Romance though!

11. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

Yeah, they just needed to be a lot more discerning with this one. Should have been a ten track album and One More Time should have been the opener.

I have confidence the second album will be much better because the highs of this are really good, they’re just buried in meh.

Jason Tate likes this.
  12. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Enjoy it overall. Think I'm with everyone else that is saying the previously released songs are stronger. Honey and Television Romance are such boppers.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. jorbjorb

7 rings

drive is a cool song

14. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Had another listen, really digging Loveless Girl and Drive.

The bass sounds amazing on this album, I'm sucker for full sounding bass.

jorbjorb likes this.
  15. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Album is a little underwhelming after a few listens. Some great vocal moments from Heather and there’s some solid guitar work, it just feels the album should have been shorter. Lyrics and melodies are where it falls flat for me.

Also the re-recording of Television Romance sounds off, I definitely prefer the ep version.

I hope the albums a grower.

16. RoKKeR

The Fly

Quite like this band, but this album didn't need to be more than 10 songs. Especially when it's so easy for them to fall into the trap of sounding "same-y" (see Honey/Television Romance) it just becomes all the more unnecessary.

That being said I'll definitely try to catch them when they swing through town, want to support this band.

JamesMichael and Nate_Johnson like this.
  17. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I love this thing. Drive is great. I actually think tv romance is my least favorite track

18. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I like this album and band but all the twinklies sound bad in my car

19. RyanRyan

I'd argue in its current form on the album, it's not a fav of mine. But it's my fav of theirs if we're talking about its original state. Really don't know what they did with it on the album, but it sounds so off to me. It really didn't need re-recording to that extent.

sawhney[rusted]2 and SpyKi like this.
  20. SpyKi

Yeah I just switched the old version in. Still my favourite of theirs but I really like everything on the album except Honey.

RyanRyan likes this.
  21. RyanRyan

Don't know why I didn't think of that. On the subject, I'll probably change Honey to the first re-recording of it. Cos again, they did something with it on the album and it doesn't sound right to me. And it's not like a resistance to change kinda deal - The 1975 did exactly this with The City and Sex, and I enjoy both versions of both tracks - with the Pale Waves singles (imo) they just sounded far better to me in their previous iterations.

22. SpyKi

I swapped Sex out on the first 1975 album too, lol. I really don't like the rerecording of that song either.

23. RyanRyan

Hahaaa, I just listen to both pretty often! Very drastic changes on both though yeah. It's a mood thing for me with those songs, whereas with the Pale Waves re-recordings I just plain don't enjoy them.

24. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

I do prefer the production of the first two singles. I think a lot of the songs on this album would have been superior produced in that way.

25. SpyKi

Didn't The 1975 produce TR? That might be why it's still the best thing they've put out.

JamesMichael likes this.