Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ozuna Tops Justin Bieber to Become the Artist With the Most 1 Billion-View Videos on YouTube

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ozuna now holds the record for being the artist with the most YouTube videos with more than one billion views:

“Thanks to all the colleagues who believe in me and always count on me, we continue here I love them and blessings to all, they are part of my success,” Ozuna wrote on Instagram when “Taki Taki” reached the figure. “I love my fans a lot and thank you for never abandoning me.”

We’ve reached the spot where I am laughably out of touch with things that are popular. I’d never heard one of these songs until this morning. I just missed one of the largest artists online.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  2. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Nice so I'm not the only one that missed lol. I've never even heard this name haha.

3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Also never heard of this name, and I usually am decently clued in to shit

4. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I was expecting an artist that's totally outside of the Western music world (à la Psy), but I guess I'm just really out of touch with what's popular these days.

5. Kuri44

6. TuffG15

I can see how most people don’t know who Ozuna is, especially if you don’t listen to any of the new generation of Spanish music. He’s actually pretty decent though

7. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Who?

8. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I concur with everyone else who had no idea who this person is.

EDIT: This is primarily a Spanish-language artist, and the vast majority of these songs are collabs. I don't feel as out-of-touch now.

9. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I came into this thread to read the comments of clueless white folks and am pleased.

10. Also here to say... "Who?"

redwing91007 likes this.
  11. You're very welcome.

St. Nate likes this.
  12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

To be fair, these are global views, so it's okay to feel a little bit out of touch. Good for him. Latinx artists are clearly the future.

13. (cackling because same)

palebluedot, TuffG15 and St. Nate like this.
  14. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Anyways listen to Ozuna. I don’t know one lick of Spanish and I bumped his last record a lot.

Don’t let Justin Bieber singing Despacito be the limit of your knowledge on Latin music.

Arry, mercury and Anna Acosta like this.
  15. DisloyalOrder

Trusted Prestigious

The whole Latin trap scene is huge on Youtube and streaming. I live in Miami so I hear guys like Bad Bunny, Ozuna, and Anuel AA all the time.

palebluedot likes this.
  16. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Omg the IGNORANCE DISPLAYED IN THIS THREAD. But for real Latin music gets sooooo many views on YouTube. Having the international fanbase means lots of white Americans are ignorant but they dominate in other markets. Tho mainstream US artists tried it with their "tropical" bastardization nonsense

Arry likes this.
  17. palebluedot

Come on! I wouldn’t call it ignorance. This guy is everywhere in latin america, but I can understand why he is known by only a few people in this site.

18. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I mean I was being a bit facetious there lol

But in all realness I also don't rly get the point in a bunch of people just basically saying "who??" Google, YouTube, look it up. I think we're so used to popular music artists being from the US or UK when more international artists than ever are killing it and breaking through, and more people should widen their scope.

supernovagirl and Anna Acosta like this.
  19. "Despacito" isn't the first and only Latin song?

SuNDaYSTaR and St. Nate like this.
  20. The version without Biebs was better anyway.

palebluedot likes this.
  21. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Them's fighting words. #bieber4life

22. Feel how you feel but I said what I said. B-)

23. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

example: dillon francis last album lollllll. he tried. although his song with de la ghetto was pretty good

24. GreyWall

I love the continued over the top reactions on this site when people admit to not knowing someone or something, like it´s something to laugh at or mock. I don´t know, maybe instead of laughing at them or being a douchebag, point them in the right direction?

Anyway, the smart thing that many latinx musicians do is release a huge hit (often time as collaborations). Then they release a remix a that huge hit with a bunch of other same huge artists on the remix. And some of the really big latin singers do a collaboration with huge english speaking singers (Drake, Demi Lavato, Cardy B- although she sings both english/spanish). This is why someone like Ozuna has such massive numbers, because he sings on so many collaborations and remixes of others´ songs.

Like Daddy Yankee is massive and this song was huge last:
    Original Release:

And then release remix with other massive stars: Bad Bunny, Becky G, Natti NAtasha.

Ahora Dice isn´t even Ozuna´s song, but he still sings on both versions, which are both massive.

Ahora Dice (original): Chris Jeday´s song featuring Ozuna, J. Balvin, & Arcángel

The Ahora Dice Remix featuring: Ozuna, J Balvin, Cardi B (spanish & english verse), Offset, Anuel, Arcangel

I don´t think this remix process would work as well in the United States though. I think people would get too pissed off if artists like Beiber remixed all his hits with the same people single after single.

Also, the biggest Ozuna news in the past couple weeks isn´t his youtube success, but his possible connection to the murder of Kevin Fret, an openly gay reaggetone singer. Fret allegedly was threatening to extort Ozuna (a married man with children) with a gay sex tape, and then he was murdered. Wild stuff

AshlandATeam likes this.