Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ozark (Netflix, 2017) TV Show • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by suicidesaints, Jul 22, 2017.

1. OotyPa

fall away

About halfway through and the show retreads so much of Breaking Bad's plot without much of an attempt at differentiating itself. Really turning me off. I might ditch this one without finishing it.

2. eight30

Regular

I loved this but I also haven't seen a second of Breaking Bad, haha.

3. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Breaking Bad is, of course, better. But Ozark is pretty good too.

kyle likes this.
  4. fronkensteen

Trusted

They're really not all that similar other than the idea of a dad doing illegal stuff to gain money for his family. That's the only similarity.

slimfenix182 and kyle like this.
  5. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

And they used acid to dissolve bodies in episode 1. I didn't get any other similarities or feel like it was a rip off of BB at all though. Thoroughly enjoyed this.

fronkensteen likes this.
  6. OotyPa Aug 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 9, 2017)
    OotyPa

fall away

Marty Byrde is a mild-mannered father who spends most of his time committing crimes for a drug cartel, at first drawn to it as a means to help his family but now that he's feeling dejected by his wife, the power that comes with his position compels him to explore the dark side of his own psyche. That's essentially the whole point of Breaking Bad after Skylar fucks Ted and Walter's lost his empathy.

Maybe there are enough differences episode-to-episode, but everything that's happened so far has occurred with such little punch that it's keeping me from watching without making the comparison. I heard there's a flashback episode that deepens Marty's character so I'll keep watching--at least to that point.

7. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

the show probably wouldn't exist if Breaking Bad didn't exist

8. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

The flashback episode was the worst.

kyle likes this.
  9. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I'm impressed by the first couple episode of this, the bad reviews may have taken my expectations down enough I guess haha.

10. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Not too many bad reviews. I'd says for the most part it's been well received by critics and fans....Nearly 70% on both RT and Metacritic and an 8.6 on IMDB.

11. tucah

not champ Prestigious

jorbjorb and kyle like this.
  12. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This show is good. It borrows from breaking bad but doesn't completely rip it off. It's annoying that no one can just enjoy something anymore.

13. I don't mind Breaking Bad inspiring a genre and also Jason Bateman in anything is nice.

That said, on ep1 the drug lords toss a freaking body from a penthouse with literally no consequence? Lol.

Excited to keep watching still.

14. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Finished this in two days. Loved it.

15. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Just finished. Liked it. Didn't love it.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  16. Something I noticed with this show is it tries to spark from the get-go the same sense of urgency and crisis BrBa reached after a long time.

I thought there was a lot of bad acting and silly scenes, even if they can pass for "dark humor" but overall I guess it was entertaining.

I would prefer the show made up its identity though, there's potential in some of the drama but it's offset by things like someone randomly hit by a bus.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  17. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

I'm only a few eps in but I enjoy this, and while they BrBa parallels are hardwired in they are more spiritual than structural. Probably the most major deviation of the formula so far that I really enjoyed was in the (third?) ep when the family is moving into the new house with all their junk in the lawn, the daughter asks the mom what they're doing there, and the mom thinks about it for a second and just hits the kids with "because your father is laundering money for a Mexican cartel". Automatically eliminates the will they/won't they find out aspect that's such a trope in these family-turned-crime stories.

Dirty Sanchez and slimfenix182 like this.
  18. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

two episodes in and enjoying it so far. I like the dark humor bits, and feel like the show is doing well taking advantage of the fact that BB came before it, like not having to explain the acid part since most people got that science lesson from Walt & Jesse.

19. jorbjorb

7 rings

This is so damn good.

20. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

I need to get into this asap. Looks great and only heard great things so far

Too many shows - so little time. The struggle is real

coleslawed and loudasallgetout like this.
  21. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I’ve been obsessed with this show lately. My wife and I started watching it last week and we can’t get enough of it. We have like three episodes left and hate there has only been one season so far. It’s great to see Jason Bateman play this kind of role. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen him play anything but a comedic role (besides The Gift, which wasn’t very good).

chris-wrecker likes this.
  22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I liked The Gift. I actually watched The Gift a day or two before I watched Ozark, so for the first few episodes, I was getting the characters confused because The Gift was still on my mind, haha.

23. airik625 Oct 12, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 12, 2017)
    airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I’m glad the finale didn’t end on a cliffhanger. Also glad to see the family reunited at the end. I feel the most immediate threat has been taken care of for a while.
    I was very impressed by the episodes Bateman directed himself.

coleslawed likes this.
  24. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

that minute or so with Mason at the lake in the last episode felt like an eternity.

I am a little confused as to why the FBI couldn’t reveal Agent Petty as their eyewitness with Del/his car. he didn’t really need to stay undercover anymore, as getting custody of Del would have ended his investigation into Marty, and his only connection in town was dead. They would have then caught the Snells in the act of cleaning up and could have taken them down, as well. still really enjoyed this series, and hoping we get a second season.

25. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Had a bunch of recommendations to check this out so I did. I felt like I had to drag myself through the entire series. Thought it was super slow and never really went anywhere. Even with the way it ended, I just kinda sat there like...really?

I understand people like this, just wasn't for me.

suicidesaints likes this.