Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ozark (Netflix, 2017) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by suicidesaints, Jul 22, 2017.

1. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Watched the first two episodes last night and I'm all in. Will probably plow through the rest pretty quick.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Four episodes in. Really enjoying it.

3. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm loving this show. Only one more episode left. Gonna wait until tomorrow night to finish it.

4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Just finished episode 4.

I guess the reveal will be in the next episode, but who's the woman that injected the strip club owner?

5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, you'll find out about the woman and her husband soon. They become pretty important characters from here on out.

suicidesaints likes this.
  6. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

My goal for the weekend was to binge this and I didn't get to watch one goddamn episode. Hopefully starting tonight. Anyone finished it than can say how it was overall?

7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I personally love it. I only have one more episode to go. Meant to finish it up last night, but by the time episode 10 came on it was midnight and episode 10 is about a half hour longer than the other nine so with it being a work night I (thankfully) saved it for tonight. I honestly can't wait to watch it and it's all I've been thinking about this entire weekend.

It's an obvious comparison to Breaking Bad. Even down to casting a 'comedic' actor as the dad/main character. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people will watch this and just say 'Breaking Bad was way better, this isn't good' or whatever. Although I say comparison, I don't think it's a rip-off. It does well on its own.

The cinematography is really good too, the setting is pretty gorgeous.

8. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Music to my ears, thanks

9. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I loved the first episode.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  10. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Watched the first episode earlier. Good start.

SpyKi likes this.
  11. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Im enjoying this so far. Half way done at this point I think.

12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Gotta say, as much as I loved this season, not sure how I felt about the finale.

13. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

eh... I watched episodes 5, 6 and 7 last night and am quickly losing interest. I'll probably finish it in the next couple of days, but the quality has considerably declined from the first couple episodes.

There's a lot of weird choices too. They kinda force in a bunch of different social issues... homophobia, sexualizing the underage girl, education, drugs effect on the economy, the use of the word retard...

14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Throughout the season, a lot of characters come in and they start to focus a little more on the town/area/characters and that's when it declined in quality a little for me. I thought maybe they introduced too many characters/story lines too soon and didn't focus enough on the Byrde's and their situation. Overall I still very much enjoyed the season and it was worth the watch and I look forward to another season (hasn't officially been renewed, but showrunner said there is material for 5 seasons).

SPOILER FOR EPISODE 10

It'll be interesting to see who they bring in for Del's boss. I'm guessing that will be a big storyline for season 2. That and Ruth's dad - who I have no idea why he seemed so infatuated/concerned with Marty considering he has no idea who he is, but all of a sudden he really wanted him dead and chastised Ruth for not killing him? Not sure I connected the dots on that one, but it sounds like he may be getting out of prison because he said 'the next meeting we have will be face to face'. I wish the Snell's were a little bit more intimidating/interesting, I don't know, they just didn't interest me much. And honestly had a hard time understanding what Jacob was saying a lot of the time due to his thick southern drawl.

15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

oh god, I hope there's not 5 seasons

16. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

If this were set in Chicago it would be a much cooler setting.

17. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Why tf would you launder money for the brutal cartel when there's tons of money to launder for white collar crooks?

18. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

- the episode where his daughter nearly drowns and then doesn't. wtf was that? that is the most unrealistic worst drowning scene ever.

- how believable is Ruth as a character really?

- how believable is the church thing really?

19. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I also love how upset/surprised they get when they find out the bad guys know their children's names, or the color of his toothbrush. I mean, he works for a cartel and witnessed them slaughter his friends (and almost himself)

20. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Not sure how far along you are but SPOILER FOR EPISODE 8: He initially said no to Del several times. Only reason he met with Del again was to essentially try to save his fading marriage by taking his offer on a 'free' vacation for looking over his numbers. Even on vacation, he still told Del no several times. I think he just eventually saw a means to a lot of money very quickly and thought it would patch things up with his family life.

21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

There are certainly a lot of reaches in the series or the need for suspension of belief at times.
    I think the drowning was more of a suicide attempt though. She purposely went out into the 'cold' lake at night time and literally started swimming away. She also wasn't struggling, she just kind of sank to the bottom calmly. She expressed on several occasions how depressed she was and probably realized she'll never have a normal life again and in addition to fearing for her life, was also upset about the boat incident and the guy who left.

I honestly didn't find Ruth's character that unbelievable. That whole family was your stereotypical poor, uneducated, trailer park 'locals' as they called themselves. They were a lot of tough talk and no action for the most part. Bateman obviously didn't fear any of them. At all. Viewed them as harmless. Ruth never had a father figure in her life and I think she was surprised to see that Batemen opened up right away and put so much trust/faith in her and she eventually realized she needed him in her life. I thought the most asinine scene in the season was Batemen going unarmed to get his millions of dollars back and the family just gives it back.

I'm not sure what you mean by the church thing...like the heroin going through the bibles? Or the construction of the church? Either way, neither felt that unbelievable to me.

As for being upset/surprised about the cartel knowing everything about him, I think Bateman was naive to think he was untouchable. Going back to Episode 8, Del told Bateman he was the only man who could do the job and who he could trust. I think Bateman was naive to think that Del would never do anything to him because he was so badly needed. I mean, throughout the entire season, Bateman is pretty even keeled - despite trying to save his entire family's life. I think a part of him didn't really believe he was in that much danger but then all of a sudden it hit him knowing he was being spied on, followed, etc. I think I saw Bateman in an interview for the show saying his character is a guy who thinks he's smarter than everyone else, but really isn't.

fronkensteen and suicidesaints like this.
  22. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Think I'm gonna check out the pilot tonight.

23. fronkensteen

Trusted

Loved this quite a bit.

24. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I was all in after the first episode or two, but I've quickly soured on this show. I have 2 episodes left so I'll finish it out, but I can't believe how much social commentary is shoehorned in every chance they get.

Does no one else notice it?

25. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I finished it last night. Like it pretty well when it's all said and done. Now that I've seen it all and certain things were revealed I think it's as good as I can hope for a series to be personally. Gets between an A and B in my book, an A when you stack it against other shows. The only shows that I've thoroughly liked are Breaking Bad and Fargo and it's not as good as those but definitely better than whatever else I've seen.