Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Oxford Comma Dispute Is Settled as Maine Drivers Get $5 Million

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Daniel Victor, writing for The New York Times:

Ending a case that electrified punctuation pedants, grammar goons and comma connoisseurs, Oakhurst Dairy settled an overtime dispute with its drivers that hinged entirely on the lack of an Oxford comma in state law.

The dairy company in Portland, Me., agreed to pay $5 million to the drivers, according to court documents filed on Thursday.

2. Ironic the writer opted for no Oxford comma in this blurb?

carlosonthedrums and anonimito like this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

That's AP Style for you.

Aaron Mook, anonimito and David Parke like this.
  4. shawnhyphenray

Regular

Good. I think it's ridiculous not to use the Oxford comma

5. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

So, after all these years, Vampire Weekend's question "Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?" has been definitively answered.

6. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

In my legal practice class last semester we talked about a similar case. Gotta be careful. Some lawyer who drafted the initial boiler plate form is probably real mad right now.

David Parke likes this.
  7. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

i love a good oxford comma. it's considered a no-no in each state department i've worked in, but in my own life i'm a comma machine

David Parke likes this.
  8. Ellite25

Regular

I don’t understand why people don’t use Oxford commas in general considering they make the separation of things more clear. Glad to know the courts agree with me.

David Parke likes this.
  9. It's because we're right!

Aaron Mook likes this.