Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Owen - The King of Whys (July 29, 2016) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Contender, May 25, 2016.

1. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

I love this. An Island and Lost are earlier favorites on this.

2. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

on my first listen now.... "The Desperate Act" is the real deal

3. Kennedy

"An Island" WOOOOW.... could be one of the best Owen songs ever! THOSE HORNS.

h8bit and bradsonemanband like this.
  4. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Question about "Settled Down" and I'm not sure how to word it musically - what is going on with that drumbeat? The song appears to be framed around a 6 bar phrase, in which the first 2 bars are the same, and then there's a slight stutter in the drumbeat and it changes rhythm entirely for the final 4 bars. I'm sure there's a musical term for this but I don't know what it is, and Mike always seems to write these transitions with such ease.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Address my musical question dammit

6. Kennedy

@teebs41 would probably know the answer

7. SLADE775

RiverCityScumbags Prestigious

"This childish cry for attention
    The desperate act
    Of a disappearing man
    Better catch him... While you can"

Shit cuts deep man! haha

8. congruence

Got a light?

This album is amazing and is just what I needed in my life, a couple years back I went on an Owen binge for a solid year and he became my favorite artist but I stopped listening for a while to the point where I wasn't even that excited for this release but after letting this sink in I'm blown away. "An Island" is unbelievable and there isn't a bad song on here.

SLADE775 likes this.
  9. Horrorca

Trusted

waiting for the release date

can't wait!!!

it that makes sense...

10. SLADE775

RiverCityScumbags Prestigious

I always find that Owen albums coincide with my life in certain ways, more so than most of what I listen to. I don't think I've connected with an album this much since Ixora. I think it's his best release since "At Home with Owen". It's probably my favorite album of 2016 at this point.

11. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Not enough hype for this album, it's great. Tourniquet and Lovers Come and Go are really growing on me, this guy makes beautiful music sound so easy

bradsonemanband and h8bit like this.
  12. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Wait, this leaked?!?

13. Not enough hype for Owen in general!

14. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I remembered that the release date was late July sometime, so I checked the thread thinking it may have come out this past Friday and... dang! It bums me out that there wasn't more of a commotion over this. Hopefully it gets more attention when it comes out officially!

h8bit likes this.
  15. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Tourniquet gets better every time I hear it. This album is up there already as far as his work goes

h8bit and bradsonemanband like this.
  16. Horrorca

Trusted

here weeeee goooo!!

17. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Listening now for the first time.

Tourniquet is so beautiful

18. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

anyone know if his upcoming tour is with a full band or just solo acoustic set?

19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

wow when the electric guitars kick in during Sleep Is a Myth

20. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

got to see mr. kinsella here for the very first time last night, was everything I could hope for. He ended up playing never meant at the end of the set, and while it was very bare bones it was unbelievable to be able to hear that song live for the first time.

Contender likes this.
  21. thethingis Aug 2, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 2, 2016)
    thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

I'm not great with musical notation so there are probably better ways to structure this but I'm hearing that the second and fifth bars of the phrase are in 7/8 while everything else is 4/4. Someone else feel free to correct me.

22. TedSchmosby

Trusted

This album is so beautiful musically. The band sounds so huge and nuanced. Mike sings in that lower voice that I'm not as fond of, but the sincerity is still all there. I'm still looking forward to getting deeper into this album

23. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

On first listen, this is all sounding very samey. Owen albums are usually growers though so hopefully the songs will become more distinctive the more I listen.