Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Owen - The Avalanche (June 19, 2020) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, May 7, 2020.

1. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I would say it's definitely more than just straight up acoustic, like the previous ones *mostly* were

2. this album and his last one were both produced by S. Carey. the last album had bigger production than previous Owen albums as well, so you should check it out, if you're into that.

Jim likes this.
  3. Jim

Trusted Supporter

im digging this new one so i def will check that out as well. thanks for the rec!

bradsonemanband likes this.
  4. congruence

Got a light?

I’d say the last 3 albums (including this) are all in a similar vein, with each kind of expanding on the previous sound. This one took me a few listens to get into but now songs are starting to catch on, the first 4 songs are a pretty flawless run and the rest of them are growing on me with each listen

Jim and bradsonemanband like this.
  5. Jim

Trusted Supporter

man "mom and dead" is gut wrenching

6. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

I'm so glad Phoebe's record went to be released yesterday, I listened to it a few times and I'm listening to it right now at work, and therefore I'll have the whole night again to go through this new Owen record, which I'm also really excited about! Loved the singles, loved the previous, so happy with S. Carey's production, and now there's also KC of Now, Now from what I've seen, which skyrockets my enthusiasm to hear it ;d

bradsonemanband and congruence like this.
  7. congruence

Got a light?

“The Contours” very quickly is becoming a top tier Owen song for me

8. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Yeah I agree, "The Contours" is probably one of his best ever. His vocals on the chorus are way too good.

congruence likes this.
  9. zmtr

Trusted

Yeah this is amazing.. I was a fan of mostly everything Mike did but Sean's genius really elevated Owen to the next level.

Musically, "Dead For Days" would fit perfectly on Bon Iver, Bon Iver or Hundred Acres

10. zmtr

Trusted

"I Go, Ego"

holy shiiiiit this song

11. vidiviciveni

Trusted

For me its the instrumentation that is elevated the past few albums. Mike was already an octopus himself for years playing drums guitar vocals bass and producing all his own stuff, but since he's started working with Sean Carey, there are horn sections, pizzicato strings, lap steel... its all just gorgeous and mixed so well.

12. Fixed Glitch

AP Attitude Era Superstar Supporter

I always have huge expectations for new Owen albums. King of Whys was my AOTY in 2016. Just went through my first listen and it's seemingly another incredible release. Very hard hitting songs lyrically (as usual)...

13. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

I believe Mike talks about that in the interview Brad posted a page or two back. Been a Owen fan since I was in high school but the last two are def. steps up production and instrumentation wise.

14. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Songwriting-wise this album reminds me a lot of At Home With Owen

There are a couple tracks that feel like "A Bird In Hand" Part 2

15. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Really enjoying this, especially the songs with KC.

Bartek T. and bradsonemanband like this.
  16. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I do wish she was a bit better utilized, her parts are very faint and over soon - I was hoping for more like a full duet Hayley Williams style on "Uncomfortably Numb"

17. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I wish she had more parts for sure but I just love her voice

18. waking season Jun 19, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 19, 2020)
    waking season

Trusted Prestigious

This thing is heartbreaking. Dead for Days is wrecking me right now.

congruence and bradsonemanband like this.
  19. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

This is real real real real real real real good

waking season likes this.
  20. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Doing a bit of a discog run and I totally forgot about "L'Ami du Peuple"

21. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Listened to the album a few times already and I definitely love it, and I think it's mostly due the more lush and reach production aspect, as well as I had predicted it quite well to really enjoy the songs with KC (and second the notion I'd wish for some more prominent lines from her, but it's still so cool!).

22. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

bradsonemanband and congruence like this.
  23. congruence

Got a light?

This is really starting to catch on, "Dead for Days" is stuck in my head constantly, really great buildup and payoff

Bartek T. and waking season like this.
  24. John Nguyen

Don't know if this is really a "divorce" album or not but if it is, then that just makes the Instagram video of him playing "Dead for Days" while his children are playing in the background a lot sadder.

25. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

This is my first Owen album and I like it a ton.

It took LP3 for me to get into AF and I appreciate that this is like a slower, more acoustic variation of it.