Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Outdoor Recreation Thread • Page 9

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 30, 2016.

1. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah see the one I'm getting is a Coleman, much cheaper option but it's gonna be my first time actually camping so it'll do. I can buy other supplies as I go and upgrade if needed

2. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

The Walmart tent I used to have wasn't my first choice but it worked well on a couple trips with dry weather. I upgraded to an REI Passage 2 (or check out the less expensive Camp Dome) and haven't looked back. So glad I don't have to slide tent poles through those annoying fabric loops anymore.

Just depends on how you plan to use it and how often. Give it a shot and upgrade later if need be.

coleslawed and ChaseTx like this.
  3. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

That's my luxury tent I posted, it's a "6 person" tent but it's usually only two of us and sometimes my kid. But I have a sweet blowup mattress that has a bed frame on it and a few other things that make it super comfortable, love it. I need to go camping again soon.

Coleman Airbed Cot - Queen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU6AVLW/?tag=absolutepunk-20

coleslawed likes this.
  4. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Just did the Plain of Six Glaciers hike in Banff National Park yesterday. All national parks are free in Canada this year because of the country's 150th birthday and I recommend checking them out if you can.

coleslawed likes this.
  5. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

that's rad. we did Lake Louise to Lake Moraine a few years ago, although we got a bit lost and bushwhacked for a few miles. you become a lot more thankful for trails after that, haha.

Deborah Remus likes this.
  6. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Awesome! The trail I just did starts at Lake Louise. I just moved to Calgary and am so excited to start exploring this region in full detail.

7. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

definitely jealous of being so close. we also did the Agnes Lake Teahouse, which leaves right from Lake Louise, as well.

8. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Definitely going to do that one either this weekend or next!

coleslawed likes this.
  9. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

REI has their 2-person Half Dome tents on sale right now for $150 if anyone was in the market.

coleslawed likes this.
  10. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I got to go to St. George Island, canoe down a river, and grill outside all weekend. Good times.

muttley and coleslawed like this.
  11. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Visiting Yosemite National Park for the first time next week, with my girlfriend from Norway - absolutely incredibly stoked. Bringing along my Canon 80D DSLR too (that I'm still a newb at using), so stoked to hopefully get some awesome pictures

12. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Have fun! Would absolutely love to explore the California parks one day.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  13. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Thanks man! Yeah it looks like there's endless places to hike and explore, so hopefully you can get there soon one day yourself

Ken and Deborah Remus like this.
  14. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Totally plan on it! I just relocated to Alberta, Canada so California is not so crazy far away now. Spent some time in San Francisco in 2008, but was only there for a week and never really got to leave the city aside from a day trip to Carmel, Muir Woods and Monterrey sadly.

Ken and Ferrari333SP like this.
  15. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

You have some incredible parks near yourself as well!

Yosemite is amazing though.

16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I was in California about a month ago too and visited Carmel by the Sea for like 2 hours; pretty nice little town. Apparently some of the highest housing prices in California?

Deborah Remus and Ken like this.
  17. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

True! Banff, Jasper, Waterton Lakes, Yoho, Kootenay and Glacier are just a reasonable drive away. Not counting Kananaskis Country and all the provincial parks. Been heading out to pretty much every week and plan to go to Kootenay on Thanksgiving Monday. There is enough in my backyard to keep me busy for years, but still would love to return to California.

Yeah I remember hearing that when I was there. I remember lots of mansions. My sister and I just walked the beach. We spent most of the time at Monterrey at the aquarium and stopped along the way for fresh strawberries.

Ken likes this.
  18. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Anyone have suggestions for waterproof hiking shoes? I know Merrell is a good brand for it but I am open to other suggestions.

19. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

one of my favorite things to do with friends/my girl is go to the local state park and where i live is between farm land and the north shore (of long island) and this park is smack in the middle... anyway we go on a mini hike through the woods there and come out on the dunes of the nearby beach. nice smoke and chill spot too :eh:B-)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ChaseTx likes this.
  20. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Gonna try to go camping this weekend or maybe in 2 weeks. Never done it but I'm excited

coleslawed and Ferrari333SP like this.
  21. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

That park is a place for camping too, my favorite place to camp where I live though is Indian Island, the Pine Barrens are a close second too. Ion if @iCarly Rae Jepsen been there but if he has I'm sure he'll vouch it's beautiful there haha.

(Also Indian Island is where my me reflex-slapping a Swan as a 5 year old kid for trying run up on me and steal my sandwich story happened lol)

22. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

I have a pair made by Salomon and they are perfect. Purchased them at a Kathmandu store in Brisbane, Australia but I assume North American stores carry them too.

Matt likes this.
  23. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I have waterproof Merrell's that I absolute love. However, there are some downsides to waterproof. Your feet don't vent so depending how far you go, your feet can get real hot, sweaty, and blister more. I switched to lightweight trail hikers (Merrell) because of that. They dry faster, as well as my feet.

24. djwildefire

Trusted

I have a pair of Vasques that I really like.