Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Outdoor Recreation Thread • Page 8

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 30, 2016.

1. muttley Sep 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 27, 2016)
    muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I still haven't had to deal with ticks or chiggers. I know any time I go to Big Sur, I buy a bottle of permethrin and treat my clothes and gear.

The insects at Antelope Island in Utah are still the worst I've ever seen. There was no escaping it. When I drove out of the park, it looked liked rain in my headlights. All bugs. I itched everywhere for days. Bushwhacking has never felt so good.

2. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I camped on a beach a few months ago and got destroyed by sand flies in the middle of the night. That sucked pretty hard. But nothing compared to chiggers.

3. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

cover the bites with clear nail polish. it'll suffocate the little buggers.

4. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I've been rubbing the cream every night, I just emptied the entire tube in two weeks!

5. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Does anyone have a backpacking/camping checklist they use? I'm beginning to update my (I keep it on Google Drive) since my last few hikes. Starting to bring more items, but less of them.

6. muttley

I miss hiking.

7. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I went hiking down in Whitewater State Park in southern Minnesota last weekend; it was glorious

muttley likes this.
  8. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

recently did a good hike through a jaguar sanctuary rainforest in belize to a waterfall.
    [​IMG]
    dont get to do much hiking in my parts, considering north texas isnt very nature-y. we have trails throughout but nothing nice to look at. i used to hike in this one spot almost every day but we had flooding like two years ago and its never been the same. i went back once after the flooding and a snake slithered right in front of me and i just stopped going after that haha. wish we had more cool outdoors stuff here.

9. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

there's probably more snakes there than texas.
    looks gorgeous, though.

10. muttley

Banff Film Festival is making its rounds soon. Dates here.

coleslawed likes this.
  11. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

What do you all prefer as far as shoes go? I have a pair of Merrell hiking boots that I absolutely love, but I'm finding more and more people suggest trail runners. Lightweight, easier to move around in, dry quicker, etc. One requirement that I have is that they are waterproof. I've been looking at both trail runners and hiking shoes and am torn between which to get.

12. muttley

My first pair was Merrill but they were too small so I never wore them. I'm on my fourth or fifth pair of Oboz Sawtooths. They're lightweight, fairly breathable, and the tread is nice and rugged. They last quote a while, too. Maybe 600 miles or so before the tread grounds down to nothing.

13. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Ferrari333SP, muttley and Ken like this.
  14. muttley

I gotta say, in my experience, you get what you pay for when it comes to outdoor gear. Unless you're car camping, go with the good stuff.

15. jorbjorb

7 rings

I usually use my parents trailer but they didn't get an seasonal camp site this year. So I'm going to explore the parks of Manitoba this year in my small ass car. I have a tent but need some other gear.

Any recommendations for things I must have? I would like to keep it practical but minimal.

muttley likes this.
  16. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

This is my "car camping" list. Has a bit more stuff than my tradition camping list because, well, it can all fit in my car.

Air Mattress
    Air Mattress Pump (incl. batteries)
    Ax/Hand Saw
    Batteries
    Bluetooth Speakers
    Camera
    Camp Chair(s)
    Canopy
    Cooler
    Extension Cord(s)
    Hammer and Stakes
    Ice
    Insect Repellant Device
    Lanterns
    Paper Towels
    Pillow(s)
    Rug for Tent Entrance
    Sheets
    Sleeping Bag
    Small Hand Pick/Shovel
    Surge Protector
    Tarp
    Tent
    Toilet Paper
    Toiletries
    Washcloths

17. jorbjorb

7 rings

awesome. I'm going to save this list

18. muttley

My basic car camp essentials are, for the most part:

Tent
    Sleeping pad (insulated Thermarest)
    Sleeping bag
    Backpacking pillows (not as comfortable as regular pillows, but they pack down small)
    Stove w/pots and utensils
    Stove fuel/matches
    Table for cooking (can't always count on picnic tables in dispersed areas)
    Chair
    Flashlight/headlamps
    Cooler
    7 gal water jug

For the love of god, keep a can opener with you

Obviously it's similar to the previous list. Doesn't hurt to reiterate.
    I second the hammer, or some kind of mallet. Saves you from having to tap in stakes with a rock haha.

jorbjorb likes this.
  19. muttley

20. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I think I'm gonna buy a tent and sleeping bag

Aldi has a 4 person tent for $30 this week. But also I have $50 in Target gift cards and can buy a 2 person tent there for the same price. Trying to make up my mind

21. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I'm assuming you've looked at reviews? Seems strange that a tent is that cheap.

coleslawed likes this.
  22. ChaseTx

There aren't a lot of reviews for the Aldi tent, because, you know, they sell generic brands. But what I'm seeing is fairly positive on both tents

23. ChaseTx

24. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I would not trust a $30 tent in anything more than a light rain shower, but then again, it's also only $30.

25. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

coleslawed likes this.