Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Outdoor Recreation Thread • Page 7

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 30, 2016.

1. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Is stormy weather common up there? Lightning, too, or mostly rain?

2. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Hopping in a tube with a 6 pack and a hoagie and floating down the brandywine.

coleslawed, Ken and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Sounds AWESOME.

4. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

It's so awesome. Takes about 3-4 hours to get from point A to B. So relaxing and plenty of time to get a nice buzz haha

coleslawed likes this.
  5. Mr. Serotonin

Yeah there's a river near here that's just like that. Always hammered by the end of it, haha. You don't really notice 'til you get out :crylaugh:

6. muttley

I'm gonna try one of the really short trails out here sometime this week. I'm tired of being sedentary.

7. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

5 part video series from Jared Leto about the outdoors/national parks/adventurers - first two parts released so far

8. muttley Jul 30, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 30, 2016)
    muttley

Had a dream that I was riding a road bike and it was everything I... dreamt it could be.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. Mr. Serotonin

back to back beach days for me!

muttley likes this.
  10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

11. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Also, went sailing this past Saturday; really fun time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ken likes this.
  12. kassie09

Regular

I've found so many beautiful hiking trails complete with waterfalls etc near me, I never had any idea they were there! It's so fun finding new places to explore, especially since I live in the city, it's really a nice breather.

muttley likes this.
  13. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

muttley likes this.
  14. muttley

Sasha D is a beast. Cool vid, @Ferrari333SP. Who left this bowl of onions on my keyboard?!

Reel Rock
    is coming up. Vocal fry usually makes me cut climbing/mountaineering videos short. Hopefully that isn't an issue this year.

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Ohhh, didn't know about Reel Rock; might have to check that out.

Yeah Sasha D is incredible; it's been amazing to follow her climbing progress the last couple of years through social media, along with people like Alex Honnald, Jimmy Chin, Renan Ozturk, Tommy Caldwell, etc

16. muttley

I'm still waiting for that Dawn Wall film. I thought for sure it would be part of Reel Rock this year. They must have a ton of footage to edit.

17. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone been thru-hiking? I'm starting to plan now to do a 5-day hike and carry everything on me. It's tough finding recommendations for equipment online because for every person that gives it a 5-star, there's someone with a negative experience and gives it 1-star.

18. muttley

You really have to look into the bad reviews. There are so many different pieces of gear for different types of situations. Someone will only give 1 star because their weightless tent isn't durable or their bomb-proof tent is too heavy - stuff like that.

19. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

20. _unproductive

Regular

just the thread I need!!!!

Looking at doing the JMT in 3 years, and part of the PCT in Oregon/Washington next year

21. muttley

I was considering that one, too, when I was looking at gear. If you can get your overall weight low enough, it seems perfect. My only complaint about osprey is their reservoirs. I had a small pack of theirs and it always felt rigid against my spine. I tried a Camelbak reservoir instead and it made the pack bulge in every direction. The whole thing wasn't very interchangeable.

22. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Was your small pack an internal frame? I feel like a pack with an internal frame would resolve that issue. And I plan on going for 4-5 days, I won't need too much.

23. muttley

It was like 14l so I don't remember if it had a frame. It might have been a back piece for support with some padding on it. It was a Raptor I think. One of their cycling packs that I used on a couple dayhikes before returning it.

I try to look for the suspended mesh back panels now. Some are still uncomfortable but I've had plenty of success with them. :heart: my Gregory Z30, though it's a little big sometimes.

Damn that heart emoji.

24. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Also, I've had chigger bites since my last outing two and a half weeks ago, I itch them like crazy every night. so terrible. First time getting them.

25. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

FUCK those things so hard. I've had them twice. So awful. Get lots of hydrocortizone cream and rub that shit everywhere. Also if they're on your feet/ankles/legs, ice baths work well to numb the itching for awhile. Cold showers are nice too, but just pat yourself dry. Best of luck to you. Even when the itching goes away, the welts will stay around for a bit.