Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Outdoor Recreation Thread • Page 6

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 30, 2016.

1. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I've joked before that the hardest part of hiking is eating Clif Bars. I've had gagging fits trying to get them down haha. The dense texture is rough, but it helps to find the right flavor. You get used to it, too. They're worth their weight in gold when it comes to energy - it's straight up fuel. There's been a couple times where I was totally drained and 15 minutes after eating a bar, I felt brand new.

If anyone has the chance, try drinking a Muscle Milk or any other kind of protein drink as soon as you can after a hike. I really think it makes a big difference during the recovery process. Gas stations are always first on my list post-hike so I can drink one.

DontTellMom likes this.
  2. muttley

Today I was able to get into my car without having to lift my leg with my arm. I think that means I'm almost healed. :-)

It's kind of a shot in the dark right now but I booked a campsite on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon for later this month. Hopefully everything goes according to plan and I have those days free.

3. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Most everyone hates Georgia Red Clay but I love it.

image.jpeg

muttley likes this.
  4. muttley

I bet it looks good on the cars after they drive in it. Really.
    Also didn't know Georgia had anything like that.

coleslawed and AelNire like this.
  5. My dad used to say the same thing, haha!

I think Muscle Milk tastes pretty funky, but I love me some Ensure. I use them for the same reason.

Most of NC is the same. My white dog spends most her summers brownish-red from playing in areas of exposed red clay in the woods behind our house.

muttley likes this.
  6. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

7. muttley

As soon as my knee feels 100%, I'm getting right back on the horse. I slept for the first week of May but it's time to step it up. Got a couple big hikes I want to do before June when it's too warm.

It leaves a sweet taste in your mouth until you brush your teeth and/or rinse. Other than that, I love them. Ensure is probably similar if you get one with a lot of protein in it.

8. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Jealous! I wish I lived closer to mountains so I could do that stuff more often. It's getting to be almost 2 years since I've done my first 14er and I'm itching to do more.

muttley likes this.
  9. muttley

It's nice having the big sky islands a couple hours away. I'm not sure if I'll get to, but if I can take a trip later this year, I definitely want to go to Colorado. I'm long overdue for their mountains.

10. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

i drank beer and kayaked all day. That was tight. Beach trip tomorrow.

muttley likes this.
  11. muttley

Pretty cool explanation of how the Great Basin ranges in Nevada were formed. I've yet to visit, but I think Nevada's mountain ranges are vastly underrated.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  12. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Have you ever been to Badlands National Park? It's a pretty fantastic place

Ken and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  13. muttley

14. muttley

A man out here was swarmed and killed by Africanized bees recently. I gotta say, while I usually don't think about them, those bees are horrifying.

15. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Going camping/hiking this weekend on the App. Trail in MD. I'm really looking forward to it, going to do about 8-10 miles tomorrow, with a lot of stopping and relaxing, and then about 15 miles straight-shot on Saturday.

Question for your hikers, how do you do a point A to point B hike? Instead of walking to App. Trail 5 miles up and walking the same trail 5 miles back, I want to walk 10 miles north. Saturday I'm hoping to get an Uber to pick us up at the camp site, drive us 15 miles south and then hike. Surely there's a better method?

16. muttley

Unless you can find someone else who wants to do the hike, a cab/Uber will do. Just make sure you have cell service at your end location.

I've heard of key-swaps too, where you have someone park at point B and switch keys when you cross paths during the hike. If you don't have someone else that's up for that it sounds like 5 up and 5 back isn't too bad - at least 5 miles doesn't sound like its worth the trouble to set up a shuttle.

17. muttley

I think I did some legitimate damage to my knee on my last hike in May. I walked 2 miles on pavement recently and it hurt after a mile. Knee valgus is not helping.

18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

muttley and Ken like this.
  19. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

The Tetons are amazing. I climbed cube point (the only peak I've ever climbed) and the views were just amazing. I still can't get over it, even though that was over 10 years ago.

View from summit, towards the grand (not my pictures):
    [​IMG]
    The drop to the valley floor thousands of feet below was almost too much to take in.
    [​IMG]
    Looking towards jenny lake:
    [​IMG]

iCarly Rae Jepsen and muttley like this.
  20. muttley

Western Wyoming going up into Montana all looks gorgeous. Idaho too. Lots of big mountains in that part of the country.

coleslawed and Ken like this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I had no idea that the Tetons were something besides the subject of a Modest Mouse song until literally now

22. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

They're amazing. Go if you ever get the chance.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  23. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Glacier National Park is definitely awesome.
    [​IMG]

muttley likes this.
  24. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

may be going to Glacier later this summer, excited to go back. only had two days there last time, and one was under a storm warning all day long and the rangers wouldn't let us leave the campsite.

Ken likes this.
  25. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Love that place; I was there a week, and for 3 days it rained nearly nonstop. But for the days the weather was good, it was fantastic. Some incredible views all around; amazing hiking opportunities everywhere.

Ken likes this.