Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Outdoor Recreation Thread • Page 5

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 30, 2016.

1. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

That waterfall was a LONG hike, but so worth it. And we hadn't eaten anything all day, which made the hike even longer.

2. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Headphones are hit or miss for me. Music is the perfect compliment to scenery and it keeps the monotony at bay. Other times I like to have my hearing clear (at night during summer, for example, so I don't plow into a rattler). Not that I ever have the volume up that high, but still.

Also, when I don't have them, I'll usually get bits of songs stuck in my head and repeat them for hours. That suuuucks haha.

I'm alone 99% of the time, but occasionally I'll go with a buddy who talks super loud while we're out. I don't know how to politely say, "you're basically yelling even though I'm right next to you."

3. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

I used to be borderline obsessed with geocaching and am picking it back up this summer. Still have my trusty Garmin eTrex. Haha

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  4. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

That's one thing I really want to do is hike to a waterfall. There aren't any around here.

I'm too scared to hike at night because of snakes and like coyotes.

5. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Sounds like that'll be a REALLY long hike then @AelNire

AelNire likes this.
  6. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  7. NotBruce

Regular

What headphones do you guys use, for bikes rides or other more physical activities?

8. muttley May 3, 2016
    (Last edited: May 3, 2016)
    muttley

As long as you have a good light so you can see well, you should be fine. The way I see it, you shouldn't worry about snakes until you see one, because odds are you probably won't. If you do, just give them space and you'll be fine. Most bites happen from people trying to pick them up or putting their hands/feet in spaces without looking. From my experience, I'd put coyotes even lower on the threat scale.

There's really only one hike I'll do completely at night because it's way too crowded during the day and it's a workout hike in the middle of the city. Scenery's one of the main reasons why I hike so if I can't see anything, it's not as appealing. Then there's the occasional pre-sunrise start or post-sunset finish. I will say that hiking under a full moon when you hardly need a light at all is pretty cool.

I use the ones that came with my iPhone. Nothing fancy.

@popdisaster00 I have a habit of writing off places that don't have tall mountains, but those pictures are enough to sway me.

AelNire likes this.
  9. Northern Minnesota up and around Lake Superior is fucking gorgeous. But there's also a lot of flat land and corn here. It's a big state, you just need to know the right places that are worth seeing.

muttley and coleslawed like this.
  10. muttley

Finally hiked Mount Wrightson yesterday. The Santa Rita mountains are insanely beautiful. My knee and thigh are going to be tweaked all week.

Deborah Remus likes this.
  11. Hiked Sitting Bear Mountain on the Linville Gorge in NC a few weekends ago. Took this shot looking southward into the gorge from an area called Celestial Point.

[​IMG]

muttley and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  12. JessLeigh

just keep your head above; swim.

Anyone ever hiked Havasupai? It was one of the best trips of my liiiiife! Bottom of the Grand Canyon:
    [​IMG]

13. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

GAW-GEOUS!

14. Good lord Havasupai is just beautiful area.

15. JessLeigh

I've been a lot of places and I've gotta say it's hands down like top 3 of the prettiest things I've ever seen. I have a lot of love for a ton of places in Arizona; insanely beautiful.

muttley likes this.
  16. You're lucky out there because you get the great contrast between colorful rock and splashes of flora, whereas being in western NC I'm surrounded by thick forest and everything is solid green. Very little exposed rock around here, even well-into the mountains, and most of that is just here-and-there patches of plain gray granite.

Mr. Serotonin and yourfaveweapon like this.
  17. JessLeigh

So true...one of the reasons I do not ever see myself leaving the West/Southwest. Anytime I have visited anywhere with too many trees I feel claustrophobic almost. I have grown up my whole life being able to see out to the horizon!

muttley likes this.
  18. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

What do you guys carry with you food-wise for day hikes? Food bars, etc.?

19. muttley

On my last dayhike, which was a long one, I ate two packs of Clif Bloks, a Clif Bar, a pack of jerky, an apple, and a PB&J. I didn't eat the other stuff I had and I was hungry when I got back to the car.

I'm going to try a Probar Mealbar one of these days. They seem Like they'll be more filling than a Clif Bar as long as the taste is good.

20. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I've actually never had a Clif Bar, decent?

21. If I'm just out for the day, I pick up a pack or two of peanut butter crackers and then maybe some goldfish or chex mix. Then I keep a cooler in the car with some cold beer and a couple bananas.

22. Depends wildly on what "flavor" you get, and what your definition of "decent" is.

I've never had one that wasn't difficult to eat. They're semi-gooey but very tough. I definitely understand their benefit, but I won't eat one unless I'm in a situation where it is incredibly beneficial for me to do so.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I had one of these this weekend, absolutely disgusting.

[​IMG]

24. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

25. They're totally awesome.... if you hate your tastebuds.

AelNire likes this.