Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Outdoor Recreation Thread • Page 3

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 30, 2016.

1. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I keep thinking this picture is a little too dark, but the views on Mount Union were perfect. Its location meant you could see most of the "important" peaks and ranges within a massive radius.

Richter915 and alina like this.
  2. lati

formerly spaghettti Supporter

that looks beautiful

muttley likes this.
  3. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Hiking, biking, and basketball. I got new KD Trey 5 Three shoes and I can't wait for the Ohio weather to commit to being warm

Richter915 and muttley like this.
  4. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

I like hiking, but the trails where I live suck for the most part. There's a few OK ones out east in Whiteshell Provincial Park, but nothing too special and you have to go in the fall or else you'll get covered in ticks and eaten alive by flies/mosquitoes. Thankfully I have a sister in Colorado so I usually hike there every year. Already did one 14er and want to do more.

muttley and jorbjorb like this.
  5. jorbjorb

7 rings

Hey Deborah. I agree that Manitoba is stinky.

Deborah Remus likes this.
  6. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

It's crazy that we still both manage to live there.

7. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Geocaching is the shit.

8. muttley

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with ticks in AZ (the vast majority of it, anyways). When I was planning to go to California this year, I had to spray most of my clothes and gear with a bunch of permethrin. Shortly after the whole trip fell through haha.

The last two dayhikes I've done have made me super tired during the days that follow. It's not specific muscle soreness, just an overall sense of 'nope.' I'm hoping that goes away after the next one because it's hard to keep up momentum when you have to take long breaks between hikes.

9. Ainsley&MyWhetstone

Regular

I really hate bugs so that always drives me away from being outdoors but last summer I spent an exceptional amount of time hiking as a way of dealing with poor mental health. I'm from New Hampshire so moving to Chicago, while amazing, has been a little hard as far as not having mountains in my back yard. I ran track in high school and cross country in college so transitioning to running in the city all the time is pretty terrible too. I miss having easier access to nature.

10. Ainsley&MyWhetstone

Regular

I haven't been in YEARS but I hiked around an area known as Purgatory Falls once that was beautiful. I believe it's in the Sutton area.

brigid likes this.
  11. TimothyEdward

I'll be heading up to the Adirondacks this weekend for a quick hike to get my feet back under me. Skipped over winter hiking this year, haven't been to the ADKs since November. Really looking forward to getting back up there.

12. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Camping, snowboarding, a little skateboarding (mostly just cruising around), and I need to get back on my bike this summer.

Richter915 and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  13. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Dude, this is awesome; just had a friend from the Netherlands go hiking in Nepal herself. She took some absolutely fantastic pics, so you should have a great time. Big mountain climbing/mountaineering is one of my life goals, so going to places like Mt. Everest or Annapurna base camps I'd love to get to in the next couple of years. Totally remember to share your pics here when back from that trip

Richter915 likes this.
  14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I grew up doing Boy Scouts, and going on family camping trips to campgrounds all over Minnesota, so I've been camping all my life, but haven't done it much in the last couple of years. I'm really into running and biking; hoping to get a nice mountain bike sometime this fall, when they go on sale. Right now I live in Minnesota, but eventually, once grad school is done, to move out to somewhere in Colorado, like Boulder, or maybe eastern/northern California, so I can be closer to the mountains where I can trail run, mountain bike, hike, climb, etc.

Took a road trip to Glacier National Park back in June 2014 with my two brothers and Dad, and absolutely loved it. Here's some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Ainsley&MyWhetstone

Regular

Dear God, that is gorgeous. I miss seeing mountains on a daily basis.

16. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Yeah, those pictures pretty much sum up why I love the mountains so much. Never been to Glacier, but I have been to Banff and that's just north of there on the Canadian side of the border.

17. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

did both two summers ago and can confirm, both are beautiful. needed more time in Glacier, though.

18. muttley

So far this year, I've hiked as much as I did in all of 2015. Still have another 8 months to rack up the mileage/elevation gain.

Richter915 likes this.
  19. muttley

I slipped and hurt my thumb today. First time I've used my 5 year-old first aid kit and it was for the lamest "injury" of all time lol.

Richter915 likes this.
  20. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I have a massive backyard, and yesterday afternoon me, both my roommates, and another friend of ours hung up hammocks. Hung out outside (literally), drank IPA's, chased my friends German Sheppard puppy around, and played guitar. Was gorgeous outside. Great day.

21. lati

formerly spaghettti Supporter

I'm trying to go to this place sometime soon, called the Brooks Woodland Preserve. Looks gorgeous, and it's about 13 miles total of trails so hopefully there will be lots to see.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

muttley and Ferrari333SP like this.
  22. muttley

^Those three pictures look sweet by the way.

I think for the most part, im over that hump of being sore after everything. The sky's the limit now.

23. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

muttley likes this.
  24. muttley

Glacier looks so beautiful. I'd love to take road trip up north to Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana.

Getting glasses to counter my nearsightedness has helped me appreciate big, landscape views so much more. I've been trying to take more time out during my hikes to sit and take everything in.

25. muttley

My pattern this month has been to stay up all night before a hike because it's easier than waking up early. After the hike, I usually rest for 2-3 days so the soreness goes away, then repeat the cycle. I've found that even when I don't feel like going, it's best to pack my shit and just go for it. It's always rewarding in the end.