Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Outdoor Recreation Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 30, 2016.

1. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

KRKrummy likes this.
  2. phaynes1

Regular

Would love to get out west again. Went to SF when I was 16. Trying to get an internship in SoCal right now.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  3. Vincentbiz

Resident Type 1 Diabetic

@phaynes1 you should make sure to check out the PNW too! Theres a lot of great culture in the cities and a lot of beautiful scenery in the country

phaynes1 likes this.
  4. KRKrummy

Formerly SanePsychotic Prestigious

I like kayaking. I live in Indiana, so there's not a lot of water around here, but there's a lot of larger streams/lakes that are fun and pretty chill. I eventually want to get down to Florida and kayak with some family members.

Outside of that I'm attempting to learn to longboard. I have terrible balance, so that's throwing me off a bit.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  5. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

White Water Rafting is the tits. Forgot about that. I've only been in NC though.

6. muttley

I want a kayak but I'd have to get a roof rack to transport it. Don't have the money for that right now haha.
    Arizona has a couple of lakes that are nice enough.

@George That sounds great, by the way. Is getting into/around Nepal any different since the earthquake?

7. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

I'm lucky I'm that the place I work has like 20 kayaks haha but yeah they're crazy expensive. I'm also looking into getting a canoe even though they're ridiculous to get around

8. muttley

What are the pros and cons of canoes vs kayaks? Capacity must be one. More efficient to row?

9. phaynes1

Regular

Oh I know haha. Used to live in Olympia. Would also love to go back.

10. muttley

[​IMG]
    These things are so delicious. They taste like Ringpops.
    For whatever reason, Gu decided to start selling them in 1oz packs instead of 2oz. It's such a rip off now. Why do companies do stuff like that? They had such a great product and they fucked it up.

11. lati

formerly spaghettti Supporter

hi big fan of outdoor things here. yesterday, Matt and I went on a trail that was built a couple years back that goes over wetlands, clearings, and forest areas. apparently it's a fun birding spot but I only saw a couple blue jays. but it is early still.

Dirty Sanchez and muttley like this.
  12. jorbjorb

7 rings

Biking/camping. Canada.

13. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I need to do outdoor things.

14. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

Capacity is one, plus they're a lot more stable due to their size so you're not as likely to flip one if you're newer to it. The oars are also a lot more portable than kayak oars. Cons, they're huge, they're heavy, and if you flip one in open water, good luck getting it right side up. It's mostly just preference if you can get both, but kayaks are also generally more cost effective

15. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Dirty Sanchez and ChaseTx like this.
  16. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

One of my favorite things to do in the past couple months was taking my dog to a bunch of dog parks in our area. Some really nice, big ones that were fun to walk and hike around in.

Started biking a lot last year, biking to work and just random rides, and I really enjoy that. Gotta start doing that again now that it's warming up.

17. TimothyEdward

Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, snowboarding, biking, running, and a lot of dog walks.

I went to college in Albany, NY and ran track and field. My junior and senior years I was injured and unable to compete. Being two hours away from either the Catskills or Adirondacks was really nice at that point, the mountains became therapy for me. I live in western NY now, but I still drive up to the Adirondacks once a month, at least, for a hike

muttley and brigid like this.
  18. TimothyEdward

19. JohnnyEverclear

FKA c_rob2700 Prestigious

cool thread. I was looking for a way to lose weight at the beginning of the year knowing that gyms/weights would bore the shit out of me, so I started hiking around a big lake nearby here and got addicted. lost 25 lbs. and now I can't go more than a couple days without a hike. if anyone has any places in the immediate Midwest area, feel free to recommend. looking to get more in shape this summer.

Jason Tate and muttley like this.
  20. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Yup! We camped up at Fahnestock State Park, which is right off the taconic (Google Maps) and then we hiked over right off the Hudson. The hike was pretty advanced for my first one, the first leg of it was almost entirely vertical lol. The downhill was pretty steep as well.

I've also hiked up around the Bear Mountain area. This is all maybe an hour or so north of Manhattan. Really convenient.

21. brigid

is this thing on Prestigious

does anyone know of cool hiking close enough to boston without having to drive the couple of hours to NH/VT? I know there's wachusett out in worcester, looking for other things 1-1.5 hrs away for easy day trips

22. TimothyEdward

Trial by fire! That's awesome, though. I'd definitely recommend some hiking poles, even for day hikes they help a lot on those steep parts. I was resistant to use them at first but since I tried them I don't hike without them (unless I have my dog).

There are a ton of nice places up along the Hudson. Mohonk is a place I've wanted to check out for some time as well as Minnewaska state park, both a little further past White Plains. I was just down that way about a month ago visiting a friend. Stopped in to check out New Croton Dam, which is right around where you were.

23. TimothyEdward

World's End is really nice! Out in Hingham. On a sunny, clear day you can get a great view of the skyline. There's a lot of land to explore, too.

brigid and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  24. lati

formerly spaghettti Supporter

25. muttley

Gonna' try and stay up all night and go hike Mount Union in the morning. Probably wishful thinking since I always fall asleep prematurely after setting goals like this.

@alina Love that trail shot. Looks great!

Jason Tate likes this.