Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Our Lady Peace Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bd007h, Mar 31, 2016.

1. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

My favorite band ever. Currently working on their ninth album.:-)

josephcissell likes this.
  2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Spiritual Machines is fantastic still. And they have a bunch of other good records too.

bd007h likes this.
  3. bd007h Apr 3, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 14, 2017)
    bd007h

My favorite album of theirs is "Happiness... Is Not A Fish You Can Catch".

KidLightning likes this.
  4. Love me some OLP. Got into them with Gravity, but I think Healthy in Paranoid Times is my favorite of their albums.

5. bd007h

HIPT is my least favorite honesty.

Clumsy was my gateway back in 1997. Heard the song maybe twice before buying the album haha

6. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Clumsy, Happiness..., and Spiritual Machines are all essentials for 90s-era alternative. Always loved their sense of melodic experimentation, especially on Happiness..., which is why it's my favorite.

I also got into them through "Superman's Dead" and "Clumsy" playing constantly on the radio circa 1998.

bd007h likes this.
  7. Nice. I have to spend some more time with their first four records. I know most fans appreciate their earlier stuff more, but I'm much more familiar with their post-Gravity output.

8. cshadows2887

That's a really good album. Certainly their best after Mike Turner left.

9. bd007h

other than Gravity (which Turner actually co-wrote and played on a few songs on), I think Curve is their best post-Mike Turner album.

10. bd007h

Currently running through Spiritual Machines. Such a killer record. Probably second to Happiness... for me, but I also love Naveed and Clumsy haha.

11. bd007h May 1, 2016
    (Last edited: May 1, 2016)
    bd007h

I just hope the album they are working on now is better than their 2014 stand-alone single Won't Turn Back.

Not a bad song per se, but a little too poppy for what I want from them haha

Glad Arnold Lanni (who produced their first four records) is back at the helm for the upcoming record.

12. abw123

Trusted

Saw them live recently and the new songs were catchy. Definitely didn't sound like Curve (which I hated).

13. bd007h

I love Curve and think it's their best Post-Mike Turner record. Rabbits is brilliant.

14. abw123

Trusted

To each his own, but it sounds nothing like the rest of their catalog and I thought it was pretty aggressively unmelodic, almost like they were trying too hard to "go the other way". Just not for me.

15. bd007h

I thought it was a nice step in a new direction after HIPT and Burn Burn, which I feel are their weakest albums.

16. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

didn't jeremy taggart leave the band? that's an incredible drummer to lose

curve was great. they got back the mood and density of their early records. boy did burn burn suck tho

17. cshadows2887

They've been solid in the post-Turner era, just much less inspired. I think HiPT is the most consistent though.

18. bd007h

Yeah Jason Pierce is filling in for now. Former touring drummer for Paramore and Treble Charger.

19. I love HIPT and some of Burn Burn. Can't really recall any of the tracks on Curve.

20. bd007h

I love Find Our Way, If This is It, and Rabbits.

21. I might have to give it another try. I listened to it a few times when it was released, but nothing really stuck with me.

bd007h likes this.
  22. cshadows2887

"Wipe That Smile Off Your Face" is probably their best late career song to me. Closest he's gotten to his old quirky falsetto stuff

23. That's a good one. If I had to go with one song post-Gravity it would probably be between "Angels/Losing/Sleep," "Apology," and "Signs of Life."

24. bd007h

My favs off HIPT are A/L/S, Will the Future Blame Us, Boy, and The World On A String

off Burn Burn, probably Dreamland, The End Is Where We Begin, Escape Artist, Refuge, Signs of Life, and Paper Moon.

25. bd007h

Have you heard Raine's side project imposter(s) or his solo material? Features some falsetto as well.