Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Other Finch Members Release Statement About Band

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The other members of Finch have posted a response to frontman Nate Barcalow’s post yesterday about the band breaking up. You can read that below. So, now everybody’s been thrown under the bus and a bunch of demos are uploaded on YouTube.

Within the last 10 years Finch has only released ONE full length album… That can’t be understated. In 2009, Nate walked away from an album and quit. Yesterday, Nate quit again, for the third time in the bands history (2004, 2009, & 2016). We all knew it was coming, it was not a shock. In 2015 we wrote a batch of songs, but did not have a completed album. We entered the studio with a producer friend of ours to work on some material that would complete the album and begin pre-production on the songs we already had. Nate was a no show for the majority of these sessions and chose to stop communicating with the band in January 2016. Throughout 2016 there have been tour offers we’ve had to pass on, festival appearances we’ve passed on because we were unable to reach Nate. I think it is important for Finch fans to know that we’ve always had the best intentions, we always strove to create the best songs we could, but you cannot control other peoples’ behavior. Nate’s choice to quit again is disappointing, but not unexpected.
    We’re really proud of the last two songs we recorded as a band. In Nate’s mind the stylistic change was enough to throw away his career. We just thought they were great Finch songs. We’ve posted both them on the Finch youtube channel, and hope you enjoy them.

Cheers everybody! We’ll see y’all next year for the What It Is To Burn 15 year anniversary tour!

2. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Remember when this band shat the bed so bad on their sophomore album? Never seemed to recover.

domotime2 likes this.
  3. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Uh what?

Davjs, Dan O'Neill and Raku like this.
  4. Bryan Diem Oct 20, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 20, 2016)
    Bryan Diem

Trusted

*Remember when this band released an album so goddamn spectacular that it made them break up once and every
    other subsequent problem with them probably had more to do with the band itself and the "WE NEED WIITB PT2" crowd than SHTS? Good times.

aoftbsten, Dean, Jack Wilmott and 6 others like this.
  5. Hilarious and sad.

Seems like the other band members are trying to deal the best they can with the odd temperament of their frontman.

6. Nah, Say Hello to Sunshine was just misunderstood.

7. Regardless of if people liked it or not, it was definitely one of the bigger flops to come from this music scene.

8. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Nate. Is. Out.

/woo first time making a joke with that source material, took me almost 2 years to find an opening

9. and it's a very similar situation too! ha

10. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

SHTS for life. :heart:

11. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Has that been a podcast topic? Biggest scene album flops with large expectations.

12. Nick Martin

There are no answers. Only choices.

Definitely a joke, given their history with respect to bouncing back after a few years.

13. It should be. Santi has to be up there as well.

14. aniafc

Trusted

That Set Your Goals album that came out a few years ago too (so bad I can't even remember the name)

15. dubey

Regular

Yes! This is a podcast I would listen to

16. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Fuck you dickhead I need that pick.

17. notbrokejustbent

I would love that as a podcast topic! I feel like FYS's In Some Way, Shape or Form would be up there.

18. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Except they didn't. Too many fans just wanted another generic screamo record which was already getting played out by 2005. Couple that with internal fighting and mixed reception from the fan base that would later appreciate SHTS years down the road and yeah the shit hit the fan.

19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Santi is another superb record by a band pigeonholed by its own fanbase. Bummer.

noeljames and Chase Tremaine like this.
  20. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

You the best. Internet high five!

Bryan Diem likes this.
  21. cerealtony

tech-savvy at-risk youth

elphshelf and kpatrickwood like this.
  22. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

No I fly away. You don't see where I go.

cerealtony likes this.
  23. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Did Santi not open well? I remember the fans not really digging it, but I just assumed it opened well due to the Almost Here/FOB/Gym Class hype going on.

There's some layers to the topic that I think would make it a good discussion. You hate to focus on the negative side, but it's a reality of the industry.

24. Fair enough.

25. SO SAD. Such a good record. But then again, I was one of the fans who didn't love Santi and didn't learn to appreciate it until years later.

mattylikesfilms likes this.