Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Oscars 2020 • Page 59

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

2. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

This is a cool step in the right direction, but my big gripe is with A3. Just because a movie is about an underrepresented group doesn't mean that it's doing it well.

estacey99 likes this.
  3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Love that, definitely a step in the right direction

4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Agreed. The shitty part of the internet must be losing their mind right now and you know what? I'm not even gonna look for it. Fuck 'em/

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

the only person I saw was Kirstie Alley which lol

it's a great idea but it's definitely gonna be super noticeable when they start making war movies with women and I'll be like
    [​IMG]

6. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I think some people don’t get that movies by/about white women would still perfectly fit here lol

7. Morrissey

Trusted

You are going to find a tremendous amount of female and/or LGBT people in those craft categories, so they just have to fill 1 of the other 3 boxes. A racist travesty like Green Book passes this test.

riotspray and OhTheWater like this.
  8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I dunno, I guess I'm happy that they're doing something, but like... I'm pretty sure both Green Book & Crash would qualify under these criteria? As was already stated, meeting these criteria =/= doing it well. And, it's not even a particularly difficult bar to clear? And, doesn't actually directly impact nominees in the acting categories?

It still ultimately falls on the Academy to actually pay attention & do a better job at honoring a variety of creative voices.

9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

If we want more diverse stories in cinema it matters more who the studios are hiring to tell stories than who the Academy is awarding. While well intentioned these rules don’t do a lot for me.

10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, these rules are surface level requirements. If they really want to help things, they’d require diversity at the “most important” roles: writers, directors, actors, etc...

phaynes12 likes this.
  11. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

or use the academy's power to influence/encourage the types of movies getting made going forward

12. Morrissey

Trusted

If they really wanted to mix things up, require a studio to produce a certain percentage of films that have been directed and/or written by underrepresented groups for any of their films to be eligible for any Academy Award.

The best way to increase representation on screen would be to increase the diversity of people involved in the creative process. Greta Gerwig, Jordan Peele, and Barry Jenkins have made great films that expose people to perspectives that you are not nearly as likely to get from a white male filmmaker.

The main reason straight white men make films about straight white men is because they have those experiences. Scorsese's mob films or Baumbach's films about coastal writers/playwrights or Sofia Coppola's about ennui in the face of privilege all are informed by their backgrounds. Conversely, only Gerwig could have made something like Lady Bird.

Groogz, Tim, Nathan and 2 others like this.
  13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

14. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

The last time I knew happiness.