Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Oscars 2020 • Page 57

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Jan 13, 2020.

1. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Moonlight
    Parasite
    12 Years a Slave
    Birdman
    Argo

Didn't watch the others because, frankly, why would I bother haha. Argo was the last year I watched every BP nominee. The others The other two I watched out of genuine curiosity. And obviously Moonlight and Parasite are in an entirely other league.

2. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

my guess the Academy figures he’s more known for TV

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

kobe is more known for basketball

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Moonlight
    Parasite
    12 Years a Slave
    The Artist
    Birdman
    Green Book

Haven't seen the others

5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Isaac probably had the most epic looking beard I've ever seen last night - just perfect. All the ladies at this party were like "ohhhhhh"

oncenowagain likes this.
  7. Jake Gyllenhaal

his Oscar + recent death is why

8. Morrissey

Trusted

9. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Have you guys read Joe Reid’s “what if” Oscar columns on VF? Really fun hypotheticals That he puts together.

10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I hate watching a dubbed film; takes me out of the film more than reading subtitles

11. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

The only dubs I prefer to subs are the Studio Ghibli stuff, but even then, it's just because I grew up watching the dubs, and both versions are excellent in their own right.

Not sure if anyone's ever seen Police Story. Great movie, but the dub for it is truly hilarious.

stayillogical likes this.
  12. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

The English dub of Howl’s Moving Castle has Christian Bale has Howl and it’s funny because his monster voice is clearly just him doing an early version of his Batman voice

13. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Yeah, the dub for Howl was never a favorite of mine. I adore the dubs for Spirited Away and Kiki though.

14. Morrissey

Trusted

A lot of the Ponyo dubbed voices were unhinged. I had to do a few double takes.

SpyKi likes this.
  15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Sailor Moon is the only dub I enjoy and that is entirely because of nostalgia. The super thick American accents they gave everyone were so jarring to hear again as an adult.

Anthony_ and oncenowagain like this.
  16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

received_150797625877018.jpeg

Nice

Anthony_ and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  17. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Oh fuck me

18. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

hmm

EASheartsVinyl and CarpetElf like this.
  19. Jake Gyllenhaal

I rarely see foreign language movies but dubs are off putting. Reading subtitles in a theater is fine because there’s no distractions. Watching Roma at home on Netflix a year ago I wasn’t as attentive compared to seeing Parasite in the theater

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah I watched Roma in theaters because there was no way I was gonna watch it at home, it's so easy to get distracted with my computer

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  21. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I... just realized that the only best picture winners from the whole decade that I saw were Parasite and Birdman. I really thought it would be more, I'm ashamed lol

22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

see moonlight for sure

SpyKi likes this.
  23. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

It's weird, I literally thought I did but then realized that I never got around to it. It just shot to the top of my list for sure

24. Morrissey

Trusted

There is no shame in missing the bad ones. I know I have missed quite a few nominees, but who has time to sit through stuff like Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close?

CarpetElf likes this.
  25. manoverboard365

Trusted

Lol I kinda liked ELAIC. But that nomination was pretty baffling. It has to be the worst reviewed movie to get a best picture nomination, right?