Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Oscars 2020 • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I’ll take 1917 over problematic movies like Green Book

TJ Wells likes this.
  2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

bad

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

It’s definitely better than Green Book winning but in a year with so many better nominees it still sucks. It’s more of an “I’m not mad, just disappointed” situation.

SpyKi likes this.
  4. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

5. Jake Gyllenhaal

The mentality of some Oscar voters on why J.Lo, Sandman, and Murphy were snubbed...

"First of all, ‘Hustlers’ is not an ‘Oscar movie.’ It’s a little too rough around the edges, and I’m assuming some other people in the acting category didn’t see it,” said a longtime character actor and Academy member. “Florence Pugh seems to have gotten the J.Lo spot — maybe because ‘Little Women’ is a prestige movie and she’s a bright, new star.

“Actors tend to think of Jennifer Lopez as a phenomenon more than an actress, per se. [It’s like last year, when] Lady Gaga lost the Oscar to Olivia Colman — a real actor’s actor.” And even those who enjoyed Sandler’s much-lauded performance in “Uncut Gems” said there remains a skepticism in Hollywood about viewing him as a serious actor. “That [performance] was a tour de force. He’s emerging as a truly great actor, but then he does cheesy Netflix comedies that are really dumb,” said the character actor. He admitted that, as with “Hustlers,” some voters may not even have bothered to watch Awkwafina’s “The Farewell” or Sandler’s “Uncut Gems.”

Last month, Sandler may have rubbed some of them the wrong way when he joked on Howard Stern’s show: “If I don’t get [the Oscar], I’m going to f–king come back and do [a movie] again that is so bad on purpose just to make you all pay.” “There was an arrogance to [Adam],” huffed a voting member. “It’s a lack of respect.”

In 2013, The Post wrote about insiders being miffed that Sandler was invited to join the Academy, the organization behind the Oscars. Calling Sandler and fellow inductee Beyoncé “unworthy,” one insider said: “They’re talented in their own ways, but is that what the Academy is about?”

As for Eddie Murphy, some voters disliked how hard he seemed to be campaigning for a nomination — including hosting “Saturday Night Live” after giving his old show the cold shoulder for 35 years. “I didn’t like his attempt for it,” said Moore.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/18/acade...lopez-sandler-murphy-got-snubbed-from-oscars/

6. Anthony_

How do they always find the dumbest people for these stories

mike1885 likes this.
  7. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

I watched the 4 out of 5 nominated documentaries that are available on streaming this past weekend; American Factory and Edge of Democracy on Netflix, For Sama on Prime, and Honeyland on Hulu. Some really strong competition in that category.

8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

SpyKi likes this.
  9. Morrissey

Trusted

Between the films that win and comments from voters like that, you would think people would stop watching, but people keep giving them the numbers to get their ad revenue.

Marx&Recreation likes this.
  10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

they going host-less again this year?

11. Jake Gyllenhaal

you butter believe it

12. mad

I was right. Prestigious

ugh last year's show was so boring. they need a host imo.

13. Jake Gyllenhaal

Hire Gil Faizon and George St. Geegland to host you cowards!!

chewbacca110, Anthony_ and mad like this.
  14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

15. Jake Gyllenhaal

Finally saw Parasite today, totally worth the hype. Knew absolutely nothing about it and it was so enjoyable as it unfolded. So now I’ve seen 7 BP nominees and I’m gonna rank ‘em since I doubt I’ll see the other two before the ceremony

1. OUATIH
    2. Parasite
    3. The Irishman
    4. 1917
    5. Ford vs Ferrari
    6. Joker
    7. Marriage Story

Didn’t see: Little Women, Jo Jo

Ferrari333SP and Nathan like this.
  16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

You gotta see Little Women.

17. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

see little women??

morgantayler and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  18. Anthony_

I wish I could unsee Arthur Clownman

morgantayler and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  19. Jake Gyllenhaal

I’m torn cuz I usually have no interest in period films but Lady Bird was my favorite movie of 2017

20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Don’t be torn, just go! Especially if that’s the case. Plus most of the nominees fall under that umbrella, but they’re all super different.

21. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I liked that post before I saw Joker rated higher than Marriage Story

22. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

No offense, but your reason for not wanting to see Little Women makes no sense because your top film on that list is literally a period film lol

hell even Lady Bird is technically a period piece

phaynes12 likes this.
  23. flask

Trusted Supporter

Everyone knows period piece automatically means the 1800s or Victorian era.

But yeah Little Women is a banger go see it ASAP.

phaynes12 likes this.
  24. Jake Gyllenhaal

like flask said, i can be turned off from media that takes place prior to 20th century. It’s not fair to judge these stories, just my own bias

25. flask

Trusted Supporter

I wanna make a list but I still need to see JoJo and Ford v Ferrari.

top 3 is def
    Parasite
    Little Women
    The Irishman