Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Oscars 2020 • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Jan 13, 2020.

1. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Finally someone else that was bored during The Irishman. I've never been into mafia stuff though to be fair

Also, I cannot wait to watch Parasite when it becomes available to rent tomorrow

Maverick likes this.
  2. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

For a second I thought “is this moving or am I losing my mind?”

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

4. radiodead

Trusted

Ford v Ferrari is good but no fucking way should it be nominated for Best Editing or Best Picture. The only nom it should have gotten was Christian Bale supporting actor.

There is a 3 scene sequence in FvF that is mind numbingly stupid. I still don’t get it. And some characters are underused. Good, entertaining movie that is flawed.

5. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

There are movies nominated with a lot more flaws than FvF

mike1885 likes this.
  6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

7. radiodead

Trusted

And yet it is still ok to point out those flaws

8. simonthebutler

Regular

I am very surprised Lupita nyong'o wasn't nominated for US, such a mesmerising performance

9. soggytime

Trusted

So I don't think any of the best picture noms this year are ACTIVELY bad movies like usual. I've seen all of them and even the ones I enjoyed less (Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford V Ferrari) I would still consider good movies, just not great.

Having said that, no love at all for Uncut Gems (Sandler especially) and The Farewell is a crime. But then again, Parasite is the exact type of movie the oscars usually never nominate, and this one cleaned up with the noms.... So idk maybe A24 was a blood sacrifice this year.

10. Nathan

Sure it is. I think my defense of FvF, a film I feel mostly lightly affectionate indifference to, comes from its embracing its straightforwardness, rather than pretending to be more serious or important than it is, ie 1917 and Joker

11. Jake Gyllenhaal

FvF is a Disney sports movie but with some swearing

12. soggytime

Trusted

I think my favorite take on Ford V Ferrari is that it's a movie about being an artist and still having your integrity under a Capitalist structure. Which is an interesting way to look at it from the perspective of James Mangold getting a blank check to make his passion project coming off Logan under the newly merged Disney-Fox.

It didn't make my heart soar the way that Speed Racer does - a movie about being an artist and doing whatever your heart desires regardless of corporate interests. The major difference in the Wachowskis attitudes and Mangold's show, as Mangold seems to play better with studios, along with the fact that Speed Racer was a giant bomb and Ford V Ferrari is a successful best picture nominee

Aregala, Garrett L. and Nathan like this.
  13. Nathan

Speed Racer is magnificent

Aregala, scottlechowicz and soggytime like this.
  14. Jake Gyllenhaal

The pod race in Phantom Menace was pretty cool.

15. soggytime

Trusted

It's kind of a masterpiece. I'm a big Wachowski defender, as even when they miss, they give it their all. Makes me so excited for Lana to be back for Matrix 4

16. Morrissey

Trusted

This is your second strike.

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Tetra when are you going to change into a Joker avatar

18. Morrissey

Trusted

Have you seen Calum Marsh's Letterboxd review?

Everyone in my avatar is dead now. I can't bring that on Joaquin Phoenix despite some bad roles.

CarpetElf and OhTheWater like this.
  19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lol no but I have noticed how annoying he's become recently. Didn't he quit professional reviews to become a model?

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Oh shit yes I have read this. Yikes. Sean Baker also "loved" it

21. Nathan

I haven’t seen it in a long time but remember being enamored with the sugary visuals and energy. What was my first strike?

22. Morrissey

Trusted

You are to Magic Mike XXL what @OhTheWater was for Everybody Wants Some!!!

Garrett L. and Nathan like this.
  23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hey hey hey what'd I do about Everybody Wants Some! I enjoyed it!

24. mad

I was right. Prestigious

[​IMG]

CarpetElf likes this.
  25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Teen Film Twitter is so funny sometimes

CarpetElf likes this.