Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, July 26, 2019) Movie • Page 79

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 2, 2017.

1. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Yeah I’m only halfway through it but he’s a lot shittier in the book. The part with his wife is fucked

2. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

“Look, I understand what Mr. Tarantino was trying to do. I really do. Cliff Booth is such a badass and a killer that he can beat the crap out of Bruce Lee. Character development. I get it. I just think he could have done it so much better. But instead, the scene he created was just an uninteresting tear-down of Bruce Lee when it didn’t need to be. It was white Hollywood treating Bruce Lee as, well, white Hollywood treated him — as a dispensable stereotype”

I don’t really disagree with her here. The laughter that erupted when Booth’s character mocked Lee’s martial art cry (which Lee only did during films and not in actual fights) was telling. While I’m sure it wasn’t Tarantino’s intent, this scene does add to the stereotypes of Lee and other Asian-American actors.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  3. Driving2theBusStation Aug 5, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 28, 2022)
    Driving2theBusStation

Regular

It's a cringe scene in many ways, but I think it's also worth noting that Tarantino literally had to rewrite history for it to play out as it did. Bruce is on record saying in interviews that he COULDN'T beat Ali in a fight. He wasn't the saint that some of the documentaries about him might lead one to believe, and also he wasn't known to be so arrogant. There's objective proof documentation that he would never have said what he said in that scene. That's why I think it's intended as a rorschach test for the audience to bring out specific reactions, for better or worse. Either that or Tarantino sucks at keeping up with Bruce Lee biographical trivia, and the latter doesn't seem too likely so...

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't seen the movie since 2019, but wasn't that scene really presented as how Cliff remembered the encounter happening? And we know Cliff isn't really the most reliable source in this story. Cliff seems like the kind of person who would only remember Bruce Lee as a caricature and not as he truly was.

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

That is correct

phaynes12 likes this.
  6. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

FAIRYTALES OF THE DRAGON
    Always come back to this when the Bruce Lee mythos get brought up.

Book was a fun read, really enjoyed how Rick and Cliff were fleshed out to almost be the opposites of their movie portrayals (in my opinion).

Driving2theBusStation likes this.
  7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Yeah and then I think there's a brief scene where it shows Lee trying to teach Sharon Tate martial arts and he's portrayed much more realistically than in Cliff's unreliable narrative

coleslawed likes this.
  8. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

that was a good read thanks

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

That’s the general consensus. Tarantino’s recent comments seem like he actually sees Bruce as arrogant as he wrote him, though.

10. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Has anyone finished the novel? I have it but I can't motivate myself to start it for some reason

11. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I love the movie and have no desire to read the book

imthesheriff likes this.
  12. dqwinny

THRILLHOUSE Supporter

finished the book few weeks back and rewatched movie last night.

just gets better each time. nearly teared up a few times.

13. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

The book is fantastic, an entirely different experience.

Dan Quinlan and Ferrari333SP like this.
  14. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

It fills in a lot of background, but I don't think a whole lot from the book could (or needed to) be added to the film without the film suffering. I found it to be a quick read, but not required reading by any stretch.

tdlyon likes this.
  15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

16. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

hahahah yessss

17. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Hopefully it will be like a two part season finale like he did with CSI years and years ago.

18. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Any news on that directors cut version of Once Upon a Time?

19. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

Django is due first

JamesMichael likes this.
  20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Fuck that give us the better films DC

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

22. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Impeccable taste

23. Morrissey

Trusted

Don't let the Paddington people read that.

24. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Still waiting on that directors cut.

justin. likes this.
  25. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

he and his wife welcomed a new baby girl into their lives over the weekend

JamesMichael likes this.