Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, July 26, 2019) Movie • Page 65

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 2, 2017.

1. joe.boy.fresh.

Trusted

Nah she deserves a nom for that role

2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Paramount Lands Damien Chazelle’s ‘Babylon,’ Dates It for Christmas 2021

"Plot details are vague, but “Babylon” is said take place during the transition from silent films to talkies and will feature a mix of real-life and fictional characters, similar to Quentin Tarantino’s “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.” While the exact budget is still to be determined, sources have indicated Chazelle will be assembling an all-star ensemble to share the screen with Stone and Pitt. Olivia Hamilton, Matt Plouffe, Tobey Maguire and Marc Platt are producing “Babylon.”"

3. Maverick

Trusted

Whiplash-La La Land-First Man is an incredible run of movies so I’m very excited for what he does next. Did not know Emma Stone and Brad Pitt are involved. Not sure about that plot but I said the same thing about First Man and I was proven so very very wrong.

4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

incredible is a bit of a stretch

5. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

The Academy already loves it.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

First Man is still pretty much the only film I've ever cried at (after his daughter dies)

7. Maverick

Trusted

I admit I tend to overuse that word. "Fantastic","Impressive" would be more apt. I mean I really really liked Whiplash when I saw it and it's still strong on rewatch. I pretty much am not a fan of musicals but I am a fan of La La Land, I thought Justin Hurwitz really nailed it there. First Man was the most emotional I've felt about a movie in a long time. I didn't just tear up during the movie, it stayed with me for days. I rewatched it in the summer to the same effect. I guess that feels like a pretty incredible thing for a movie to do.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  8. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I’d say to have your first three major movies be Whiplash, La La Land, and First Man is pretty damn impressive.

Mrplum5089, dlemert, mike1885 and 5 others like this.
  9. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Just rewatched this and I love the subtle foreshadowing when Rick tells Cliff he’s one pool party away from starring in the next Polanski flick.

GrantCloud and Steve_JustAGuy like this.
  10. phaynes12

my favorite movie scene of the year is brad pitt driving a car

11. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Cool as fuuuuuuck

[​IMG]

12. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

The acid trip/invasion might be mine, lol.

kyle likes this.
  13. Morrissey

Trusted

I was talking about movies with a coworker. She said she likes Tarantino movies but didn't like this one because it "didn't make sense". She didn't understand what the point of the Sharon Tate character was. After a while I realized she didn't know anything about the Sharon Tate story, who Roman Polanski was, or what the Manson family did.

I am 31. She is probably four or five years older than me. It made me wonder how many people watch the movie with none of the historical context.

14. phaynes12

it’s the most straightforward of his movies since reservoir lol

15. Morrissey

Trusted

That is true, but if you don't know anything about the Tate/Manson story it is probably a very different experience.

SpyKi and phaynes12 like this.
  16. phaynes12

right, that makes sense. shocking to me anyone our age wouldn’t know but whatever

17. Morrissey

Trusted

One thing that being a history teacher has taught me is people know much less than people can imagine.

Making a historical film has advantages and disadvantages. You have your basic premise and characters already available to you, but you have to find a way to present the plot with some sort of tension when the outcome is already known. There is the Tarantino method of straight-up rewriting history, but there are other clever ways to do it, as well. Near the end of Lincoln, the President and his wife are getting ready to go to the theater. The film cuts to a theater, but instead it is a different theater where they announce what had happened at Ford's Theatre.

2012 was the 100-year anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, and there were articles listing just how many people on social media expressed amazement that it was an actual incident and not just a movie. If you didn't know the basic outline of the story of the Titanic, how differently would that work for you? If not for the framing device of the old lady telling her story, it would feel like a writer desperate to create more tension in their story by randomly adding an iceberg.

When Tarantino does Nazis and slavery, they are things that even the most average people know something about. The Sharon Tate murder, by contrast, is considerably less well-known. As we get further and further into history, necessarily more stories will fall into relative obscurity. Will Cold War films resonate as much? If you make a film in 2040 about John F. Kennedy, would everyone in the audience know the significance of that infamous car ride?

I showed Zoolander to my students and I was fascinated by how pointless the cameos are to that generation of students. When I show Selma the students have an understanding of who Martin Luther King is but the other characters and their importance are completely lost on them. It is an interesting way in which movies that expect a background knowledge can be betrayed by the passage of time.

18. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

19. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

20. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Quit lurking my 4 month old posts you phuxking stalker

WrappinCups and GrantCloud like this.
  21. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

coleslawed and oncenowagain like this.
  22. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

GrantCloud likes this.
  23. I just read that he wrote a play and a short TV series that will be taking his time up for the next 3-5 years. So no movie for some time...

24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

He does have that Star Trek screenplay, that I think he been approved for development...

25. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I’ll be honest I’m 23 and had no idea who the people at the ranch were until the end. I knew who Manson was but didn’t know the whole story or that his followers killed Polanski’s wife. I also am dumb enough to not realize where the term spaghetti western came from until this movie :)

coleslawed likes this.