Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, July 26, 2019) Movie • Page 59

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Saw this for my 5th time last night - my first time in IMAX

2. Marx&Recreation Aug 24, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 25, 2019)
    Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Of all the scenes to mimic lol

3. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

saw it for the 4th time today. definitely top 3 QT for me, really adore everything about it. gets more haunting and hits deeper with each new viewing

coleslawed and SlappinCups like this.
  4. RyanRyan

Just seen this. Whilst it was a slow burn, my god did it pay off. And coincidentally I’d JUST finished watching Season 2 of Mindhunter, which focuses on the Manson murders a little. I didn’t know much about it prior and I’m glad I had this knowledge going into it. Excellent film.

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. Morrissey

Trusted

I went to see it again because we are all sitting around waiting for Dorian. Spoiler phobia is so strange to me, because I can enjoy a film a lot more when I know what is going to happen. Instead of waiting for the inevitable ending that you know has to happen given the historical context, you can just enjoy Tarantino's ode to the Golden Age of Hollywood.

6. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

The reason I like to avoid spoilers is because it's very fun to be surprised during a movie and you only get to have that experience once. I'll never get the same reaction to Leo coming out with the flamethrower at the end. The entire climax was so fun to watch unfold not knowing what was going to happen.

So while I agree that knowing how the film progresses will probably help me enjoy the film as a whole more on my future watches, I still very much value my initial blind watches of films.

7. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

You really don’t have to explain yourself wrt this, there’s absolutely nothing wrong or strange whatsoever with wanting to avoid spoilers.

8. Morrissey

Trusted

Sharon Tate's scenes are more interesting, as you no longer see her as the sacrificial lamb in a slasher film but rather can watch the ways in which Tarantino tries to show her as a budding actress who is reacting to the changes in her life. She is both more famous than the average person (everyone at a party knows who she is) but less famous than she thinks she is (the movie theater employees not recognizing her).

9. Dog with a Blog Sep 3, 2019
    (Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2019)
    Dog with a Blog

I definitely understand being able to appreciate a movie more on the second go around but I want to go into everything blind on the first watch. Is this even a conversation that needs to be had

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Tetra

For me it's what constitutes a spoiler, knowing twists is different from knowing the plot which I personally need to know before seeing a movie

11. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

We’re gonna keep having it anyway if people continue to misunderstand it

Criticism of “spoiler culture” or “spoiler-phobia” is the critique of vocal people who throw fits in circumstances where benign plot details are revealed or debate that a trailer is showing “spoilers” or that someone expressing that they liked a movie online is a “spoiler”.

13. Morrissey

Trusted

It is fun watching Rick Dalton talk about how awful he thinks Spaghetti Westerns are, especially since Tarantino has always had so much fondness for them and Ennio Morricone. He also makes sure to have the narrator specify that he was working with the second-best Italian director in order not to blemish the good name of Sergio Leone.

14. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

He even put a spaghetti western poster up at the movie theater and it technically didn't release in the US until 1970.

15. Morrissey

Trusted

Why does Rick have that hideous painting of himself in the driveway? I would hate to see that every time I left or came home.

16. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

It's almost as if Hollywood actors are some sort of self-loving narcissists ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

recall reality likes this.
  17. Morrissey

Trusted

Did you see the way his skin is folding against his chin? They took a conventionally attractive man and made him look absurd.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  18. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

im not sure why I can't recall now, but the opening credits come over a shot of a painting with a mouth where you're not really sure if it's smiling for grimacing, is that the same painting of Rick or something different altogether?

19. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I can see someone like Rick being pissed when he sees the mural, but keeping it because the artist or someone tricked him into thinking it was some glorious larger than life version of himself.

20. Given how pissed he was at the cutout of him with the double chin in the Red Apple cigs commercial, there has to be a story behind liking that painting of him in the driveway.

21. RyanRyan Sep 5, 2019
    (Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2019)
    RyanRyan

Maybe it’s his impression of himself and how his ability to act has tanked and his health is declining. Like that’s how he sees himself now. That’s what he sees every day he comes home. This embarrassing failure.

Maybe the mural looks great but his perception of it has gradually changed with his failing career.

coleslawed likes this.
  22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

riotspray and BackyardHero11 like this.
  23. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I didn't really love the way Hateful Eight played out as a miniseries. I think this one could work a lot better though.

24. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

Saw this today, and was pretty happy with it. Felt a little rambly at times, but it set up the climax of the film well.

25. jorbjorb

7 rings

Saw this movie on the weekend and loved it.
    Especially the ending.