Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, July 26, 2019) Movie • Page 56

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

Austin Powers showing up in Inglourious Basterds always takes me out of the immersion more than the Bear Jew. Tarantino's extended roles in his films are usually worse as well. It was when I really started to turn against Django Unchained.

SpyKi likes this.
  2. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Along with Sandler and Myers, I think QT is still friends with 90’s era SNL people since he used to date Julia Sweeney (who was also in Pulp Fiction)

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

QT casting roth's ex wife in this was funny. pretty meta film

4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

What about when he shows up in this movie?

5. phaynes12

what

6. Dog with a Blog

I think that was Midsommar

7. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Polanski is basically Austin Powers in this movie.

8. phaynes12

i thought you meant when QT shows up haha

9. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Interesting that so many of the Manson Family members in this were played by sons and daughters of celebrities. Wondering if it's a subtle bit of commentary on how Manson and his followers were birthed out of Hollywood or if there was another reason for it?

10. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

My favorite part was seeing a poster for The Mercenary at the movie theater. Love that movie and score c

11. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Probably top five Once Upon a Time movie though.

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2019 is wild

13. the rural juror Aug 17, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 17, 2019)
    the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I genuinely don’t understand how the portrayal is racist. In his own article, Kareem talks about how Lee was frustrated by the stereotypes of Asian males as effeminate, villains, or bowing servants. Tarantino portrays him as the opposite - confident (and cocky), competent, and masculine. Is it just that he “loses” the fight (which isn’t even really true, the fight just stops)?

14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Yeah so many critics have phrased the scene as Brad Pitt beating Bruce Lee and that isn’t what happens at all, so it drives me a little crazy. They each knock each other down once and the fight is stopped before anyone wins, it’s the literal crux of the scene, I do not understand talking about it as if Bruce Lee got his ass kicked

coleslawed, SlappinCups and Cameron like this.
  15. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

exactly this, plus the scene is taking place in Pitt’s memory/daydream. it’s ridiculous

SlappinCups likes this.
  16. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

“Equally disturbing is the unresolved shadow that Cliff may have killed his wife with a spear gun because she nagged him. Classic Cliff. Is Cliff more heroic because he also doesn’t put up with outspoken women?”

This part came out of nowhere and is a truly wild interpretation of that scene lol

airik625, SlappinCups and SpyKi like this.
  17. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

People really have some bizarre takes on this movie lol

SlappinCups likes this.
  18. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

What exactly is the basis for thinking that that scene w/ Bruce Lee isn’t simply an accurate memory? I don’t remember there being anything hinting that Cliff’s view or memory should be doubted in any way. Plus Tarantino has used memories as a framing device before but I can’t think of any movie where I’ve thought a narrator/POV was unreliable

19. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

nothing deliberate, just feels like an aging stuntman nostalgically remembering a memory in his life when he went toe to toe with Bruce Lee. You’d think his characterization of himself would be in the best light and Lee not as much. But nothing more than that for sure

20. Morrissey

Trusted

This is the worst series of thinkpieces since Boyhood.

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Saw this again, liked it a bit more

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  22. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

This has settled at my second favorite Tarantino

23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Fourth for me

24. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

This might be third, behind Pulp and Django

airik625 likes this.
  25. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Literally one of the first things that happens in this movie is a freeze frame where the narrator says “that’s a fucking lie” about something a character recalled

coleslawed likes this.