Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, July 26, 2019) Movie • Page 23

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Nov 2, 2017.

1. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

agreed, ill be surprised if the manson character has more than a minute or so of screen time

going to be a long wait till the end of July to actually get to see it

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

That was a year and a half ago

3. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Sorry to bring this back but are you talking about when he smears the blood on Washington's face? The blood is fake, there's a cut between him cutting his hand and him doing that

4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh wow really?? Yes, that was exactly what I meant. This is the first I’ve heard that it wasn’t done with the real blood, that’s such a relief. I know I’ve read pieces that said it was also real, that sucks.

tdlyon likes this.
  5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I really hope this gets brought up more before the movie comes out. If the hypothetical questions from that previous article end up actually getting asked of him I would be very pleased, except for the fact that I’m sure his answers would be atrocious and make things even worse. But the Emile thing shouldn’t just be shrugged off by everyone.

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

admittedly I'm more mad about the Emile and Polanski stuff and the fact that no one cares that Tarantino treats actresses like shit because he makes good movies

oh well it's not like my dream where it's the Coen brothers making this instead is realistic

7. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

1969?

[​IMG]

justin., Doomsday and Cameron like this.
  8. Anthony_

Right but that's the problem, all those issues are being almost completely ignored by the press because of this manufactured controversy about a supporting character not having enough dialogue.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  9. jbaseball44

4/4 review from slant, interesting read too as it deals with a lot of the thematic elements (presumably) in the film

10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Second review I’ve seen that calls it an elegy. I expect we’ll hear that a lot more as they roll out.

11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Also the song mentioned in the review has a good chance of being up there with Freedom on my personal favorite music choices in his films. In sequence I’m sure it’s even better, but just thinking about it seems perfect. It’s one of my absolute favorites in general and it was used so well in at least one film from the era that this movie is leading into.

jbaseball44 likes this.
  12. jbaseball44

agreed, got excited just thinking about how good that is gonna be.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  13. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

This thread is wild.

14. jbaseball44

kinda went off the rails there for a few pages. the discussion is nice though, shame we have to wait 2 more months to actually see it

coleslawed likes this.
  15. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Probably my most anticipated movie at this point.

jbaseball44 and jkauf like this.
  16. jkauf May 28, 2019
    (Last edited: May 28, 2019)
    jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

jbaseball44 and chewbacca110 like this.
  17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I wish it didn’t veer into the separate the art from the artist realm in a couple parts and just fully stuck how messy it all is to look at now, but that’s a great piece. Reminds me of some of the wonderful ones that came out from women after everything with Brand New where they had been feeling erased from the discussion and had to reconcile their own feelings on their own terms.

coleslawed likes this.
  18. Anthony_

Tarantino is such a strange case because when you look at his body of work he has a clear history of writing empowered and complex female protagonists that are held up as examples of how to write female leads properly, but then his real-life persona is often at great odds with that image. It's always been hard to reconcile, even before the Uma story and everything that's gone on with this movie now.

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

same with Luc Besson

20. Anthony_

21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

He is definitely one of many powerful men who have made their public work and image something to hide behind when it comes to the personal level. It always hurts to find out about but it’s much more common than we like to think.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  22. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Even Weinstein himself since he was backing so many of these kinds of stories.

Ryan Adams also springs to mind immediately, but it’s present in every medium you can think of. And just in life in general. I see it all the time in discussions with online music friends about people who were known in the scene as “good dudes”.

Anthony_ likes this.
  23. jbaseball44

Polanski’s wife making headlines/not pleased……i don’t think she’ll find too many people sympathetic to her point of view

24. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

‘Freedom’ by Richie Havens is in the film?

25. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Victor Eremita likes this.