Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

On the End of Yellowcard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Evan Lucy has a nice interview and feature on the end of Yellowcard over at Alternative Press:

The sense of finality led Key to approach writing Yellowcard from a different angle lyrically, as well. The singer felt especially galvanized by the ability to have the album’s lyrics serve as his farewell to friends, fans and family, and he challenged himself to use each song to express a different sentiment of saying goodbye. Some, like the affecting wistfulness of “Empty Street” (“Boxing up the fireworks/cancel my parade/the street is empty tonight”) and album closer “Fields & Fences,” complete with a goosebump-inducing orchestral outro, find him staring down his rapidly approaching future as Yellowcard’s ex-frontman, while the fiery “Savior’s Robes”—with its biting chorus, “Play us a song I know/Make it an older one”—seems aimed at those who’d prefer the band’s Ocean Avenue selves be fossilized forever.

Trying to read the article and having an Ice Nine Kills video pop up in my face sure was fun.

fenway89 likes this.
  2. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This got me much more excited for the album.

3. SetYourGoals

Do we not like Ice Nine Kills...?

4. Turkeylegz

Trusted

5. tomtom94

Trusted

"Fuck Jason Tate" were their exact words as I recall

johnnyferris and fenway89 like this.
  6. BleedingDodgerBlue

Great article..I hope they film this for release. With those many songs and B sides played, plus interviews, it would be a great way to wrap it up.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  7. goation

Regular

[​IMG]

8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I need this album now.

9. aniafc

Trusted

10. aniafc

Trusted

Also just finished reading that piece, the paragraph where he talks about calling his mom when they sold a million records is really touching. I can't relate to that exact feeling (obviously), but I remember calling my mom and telling her I was going back to college for that same reason.

11. SetYourGoals

Ah. I was unaware.

Going to see them in a few weeks with Secrets. Now I feel guilty...

12. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Bands that make merch like that really are charming arent they? What fine role models for young people. Also they have a stupid band name.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  13. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

They used to be a pop-punk band called Ice Nine. Then got all angsty and dark and added the "Kills"

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

'the band’s swan song is a fitting ending to an accomplished career, a record that culls together moments from virtually every one of the band’s albums into a final set. From frantic pop-punk (“Got Yours”) and hooky pop-rock (“A Place We Set Afire”) to sturdy alt-rock (the aptly titled “Rest In Peace”) and folksy campfire balladry (“I’m A Wrecking Ball”), Yellowcard is a poignant, perfect encapsulation of where the band have been—and, perhaps more importantly, where they are now.'

Excited for this! Sounds interesting

15. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I was ready to let Yellowcard go when they went on hiatus after paper walls so everything post hiatus has been a gift. Hope to see more music from Ryan and Sean Mackin in the future in their own projects or someone else's at least.

16. kidinthebushes

Trusted

25 song setlist with deep cuts!

17. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Except he wrote Empty Street like 6 years ago.

Yellowcard2006 likes this.
  18. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

So are we pretending they aren't reuniting 5 years from now?

19. simplejack

I wish I could say something but silence is fine.

I'll listen to the new album so much until the hurt is gone.

20. kidinthebushes

Trusted

I don't think so.

21. 1) Doubt it, 2) Why would it matter?

chickenlover likes this.
  22. aniafc

Trusted

I doubt it, too. They already did this once, I don't think they would lay it to rest again if they weren't fully ready to.

23. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Yeah the article got me really excited to hear stuff. Actually, shouldn't be long until those short 30 second clips show up somewhere!

24. Davjs

Trusted

Wow, what was that all about? A bad review or something? I'd think that'd be a waste of money, would most of their fans know who Jason is?